Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RV Anti freeze

Options
I used RV antifreeze to fill my garage heating system detached from the house. Boiler in the house with a heat exchanger. I wanted to use the antifreeze just to get the volume of the system. I couldnt use water to fill, the ground etc was, is to cold, could freeze. Did all that, got the volume, got busy with no heat calls. Left the pump running THANK GOD. I went to work on it and I noticed the anti freeze lost its color. So I put some in a container outside and it froze solid. The system ran and heated perfect, however if the pump would have failed, pipes, tubing, fittings could have froze. The bottle says -50 RV Antifreeze. Its protection lasted less than 3 weeks.

I still have to get the snow melt system up and running, it has about a 60 gallons. Its 5 degrees outside now, will be working on it tomorrow, I want to do the same thing, get the volume, remove air, heat-up, flushout RV Anti freeze, add cleaner, heat-up, flushout cleaner with dirt, and then add the propylene glycol to 40%.
What do ya all have to say about that..

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Weird. I use RV antifreeze in the plumbing in the dependencies on the property I care for -- they're closed in the winter -- and I've never had a problem with it. Wonder what happened?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    It must have gotten diluted somehow? Was there any water in the system when you put in the "juice"?

Put a jug in your freezer overnight, see if it freezes or slushes.

Rv antifreeze in not the best fluid to use in hydronics. It lacks the critical inhibitor package needed to protect the multiple metals found in todays systems.

Hydronic glycols contain Ph buffers, O2 scavengers, film providers and other critical ingredients to be kind to all the metals.

The only plus with Rv fluids SHOULD be that it doesn't freeze at 0 or below temperatures.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream