Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New heating zone with runtal radiators

Options
13»

Comments

• apg12
    apg12 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Hilly said:

Turn off the power to the system. You should have a disconnect somewhere in the boiler room.

There is an emergency switch for the boiler, but I don't see anything for the electrical to the pumps.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    That *ought* to do it, but who knows what the electrician had in mind. You'd have to determine it by testing out a zone/ checking for power at pump on a call for heat.
  • apg12
    Options
    Not to question you guys - just out of curiosity - why wouldn't shutting off the thermostats be sufficient?
  • apg12
    Options
    I can just throw the breaker which would probably be the easiest route.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    We like "lockout" when dealing with power :) you never know if someone happens by the t-stat, gasps with alarm, and cranks 'er back up. Cut the high voltage and no worries.
  • apg12
    Options
    Bob Bona said:

We like "lockout" when dealing with power :) you never know if someone happens by the t-stat, gasps with alarm, and cranks 'er back up. Cut the high voltage and no worries.

Got it, thanks!
  • Formerly
    Formerly Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Pex-al-pex has better expansion properties than regular pex with O2 barrier. Think less squeaking/clicking. If I were you, I would go with wirsbo/uponor for regular pex with O2 (you will need expansion tools), or for pex al pex I'd go with Viega over uponor. The reason being (for Viega) is that you can use compression fittings rather than needing the special crimping tool. You will need to get a prep tool however to strip the aluminum layer off the ends.
  • apg12
    Options
    Formerly said:

Pex-al-pex has better expansion properties than regular pex with O2 barrier. Think less squeaking/clicking. If I were you, I would go with wirsbo/uponor for regular pex with O2 (you will need expansion tools), or for pex al pex I'd go with Viega over uponor. The reason being (for Viega) is that you can use compression fittings rather than needing the special crimping tool. You will need to get a prep tool however to strip the aluminum layer off the ends.

Yes, thank you. I tool the advice of the majority and bought fostapex.