Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair radiant tubing in concrete

Options
solradman
solradman Member Posts: 58
Checking to see if anyone has an easy fix for this. During a remodel project the builders cut though the radiant tubing. Anyone have a sure fire way of getting to the 1/2" uponor tubing to add a coupling and new tubing. Some are easy like the ones in the pictures, others are right next to the rebar. Thinking is it better to go from top down or drill small holes 1/4" away all around the outside of tube and chip away from there?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Yup, jack hammer surgery from top down. Use ProPEx fittings and rings for factory approved repair. You will need about 3" of exposed tubing beyond the face of the concrete. Make sure you don't use non barrier tubing, unless that was what was put in in the first place.

WTH was the contractor thinking??? Obviously, he wasn't.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Solid_Fuel_ManSWEI
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    when you get close to the tube, sometimes a short handle sledge and a cold chisel are easier to control than a power tool. It's never a fun job, but doable.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEI
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    We just fixed a bunch of these on a finished slab.
    The demo guys showed up unannounced on a Saturday.

We had them set the saw elevation just shy of the tubing depth and make another cut about 6" back. This made the jack hammering easier with less impact to the tubing. The patch also came out nicer with the clean edge at the transition.

I agree that propex is the best repair. You may need to heat it a bit before expanding if the tubing is old and/or it is cold outside. We split one and had to do over.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • solradman
    solradman Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Wanted to update and thank Mark, Hot Rod and Zman. Figured I would do just as they said. No easy way around it. In all fairness the contractor who cut the floor had know way of knowing where the tubing was, however you would think they would know they should not drill holes for new rebar next to the tubes. Hit it 3 times.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited December 2016
    Options

You are welcome. Actually, for the benefit of those reading this thread, you CAN pre locate the tubes. Heat them up quickly, and have an infrared camera on hand. Mark the tubes and save the cost of repair. I used to do it for a company that did foam jacking of slabs.

I've also located leaks with the same camera caused by men with drills... Stair bases.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SWEI