Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica Boiler, Model UBSSC-150 Ignitor Errors

Options
kmfortin
kmfortin Member Posts: 4
Has anyone had ignitor errors on their Utica boiler? I have had our contractor service the system twice in the past two months by cleaning the sensors and checking the entire system. They are advising that we replace the ignitor and flame sensors, but they are not 100% sure. Just want to see if anybody has had the same issue and if it got resolved and how. Please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Has a combustion analysis been done on the boiler? If so, what are the numbers?

I believe that Utica does have a revised igniter, but check with @todd_ecr.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kmfortin
    Options
    Yes. Here are the numbers: Combustion Test for LPGas
    128.8 degrees F
    5.0 % O2
    10.51% CO2
    59 ppm CO
    90.4% EFF
  • Ironman
    Options
    Have him go through the flow chart in the manual to diagnose it.

What's the flame signal strength @ hi and low fire?

Might also be a bad cable or connection, but he needs to follow the manual to be definitive.
    Bob Boan
  • kmfortin
    Options
    Thanks. The system is less than 5 years old. We never had an issue until this year. I am not sure of the flame signal strength. I will have them contact Utica Tech Support when they arrive to help diagnose properly. Thanks again for your help.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited December 2016
    Options
    just my opinion but I would have them bring the ignitor/flame sensor with them. If they have never been replaced it wouldnt hurt to be proactive...imho. I usually recommend to my customers to have them done every 3 years... The reading they are looking for is 8 micro amps at 100%. The guide will have them check and answer a number of questions if you still have the manual on hand. If not, I would down load it and keep it on hand for future issues...
  • kmfortin
    Options
    Changing ignitors and sensors every three years seems to be quite often for such a large home system, don't you think? They quoted me close to $500 to do this job. I don't see spending that every three years. I would think with technology nowadays, these things would last longer.
  • Ironman
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Most of the time, you can just wipe the flame rod clean with a dollar bill; don't use sandpaper. Anything abrasive will ruin it. You could do this yourself without calling a tech.
    Bob Boan
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Ther are new slotted flame sensors that seem to be working better, I've had a few problems with the older style, but only one or two boilers in the first year, could your exhaust be mixing worth your intake air?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.