Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old, doesn't mean dead.

Options
Blane
Blane Member Posts: 3
We are an 50 year old waterfront motel with wall mounted gas furnaces. The one I am having trouble with is a Royal (Chattanooga TN) Model 07820AWN. This unit was fully functional early December. We have been cold {0- 10 degrees) here in MI and I noticed that the room heat would not get above 65 degrees. The thermostat works, the furnace pilot is strong and the unit fires. It appears, however that when the furnace lights the burners stay at a minimal height. These are closed units. Is it possible something is restricting the gas flow or is this a sign of a valve going out. Can this unit be saved without a huge investment?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Is this Lp or natural gas? Have you checked gas pressure? Some pictures of the controls would help.
  • Blane
    Options
    Natural gas. One straight gas line along the back of the motel. All other units work fine,

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Off the subject, are the side louvers blocked on that window unit in the wall?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    This is a powerpile self generating gas valve with a built in gas pressure regulator. Check gas pressure ahead of the valve and after the vale with a manometer. If pressure is good take the unit apart and clean the burners.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hello. I just had a similar situation with a wall furnace. Taking the unit apart and cleaning everything, including pilot and main orifices, gave me proper flame size. B)

Yours, Larry
  • Blane
    Options
    Had already cleaned the pilot and burner orifices. I will have to wait till spring thaw to check the line. The room temperature seems to fluctuate with the outside temperature. Thanks for the updates and have a happy new year.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Someone should check incoming gas pressure. Sounds like higher demand, as a result of outside temp change, may mean higher demand from the local gas company and maybe a pressure drop???
    kcopp