Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Build your own radiator?

MilanDMilanD Member Posts: 1,110
May be a little utilitarian, but - hey, if it works, it works! Gave me an idea for a short under the window pipe radiator. With some kind of cap to keep it together, this could give a lot of BTUs with a 1' pipe stack.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/DawsonRadiator.htm

Comments

• rorylanerorylane Member Posts: 8
    I was thinking about doing something similar to replace a window seat radiator that is long gone. This one is better designed than what I had come up with, less fittings.
  • hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 12,015
    I've built a bunch of different radiators over the years. Everything from copper to concrete.

Hot water circulating through pipes, easy as that. Give it a try and show us your stuff. Here are a couple favorites.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,843
    @JohnNY has posted some tubular steel radiators being used in NYC.

The only problem with copper is that when it's shiny, it's output is low. I had a sheet copper radiant ceiling heater in my office, and I was seeing like a 2 degree delta across it. I painted it flat white with latex and the delta T jumped to 4 degrees F. Essentially doubled the output with the stroke of a brush.

Low emissivity...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.