Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heating System need an experienced tech to install auto feeder

ocean123
ocean123 Member Posts: 11
Hello,

I am in Medford, MA and I am looking for an expert in Steam boiler systems to install a new auto-feeder. I need someone to stop by and install a new auto feeder and auto feeder filter. I am looking at the Hydrolevel VXT 24-V.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydrolevel-VXT-24V-Automatic-Water-Feeder-24V-10669000-p

I purchased a new Burnham boiler 3 years ago. I have been having numerous problems.

Problem 1 Water Level Issues
* Water level erratic, sometimes too low and sometimes entirely filling sight glass
* Auto feeder may not be working properly
* Dirty water in the sight glass
* System keeps going into safe mode

I am bypassing the Auto Feeder for now, but this requires that I check on the water level every day. I've had to either add more water or drain water out of the boiler a few times in the past few days. Something is really messed up and I'm really worried.

Problem 2 Radiators not heating up fully
* As a result, my condo is not getting fully warm, it is only getting up to about 59 degrees
* This should be solvable by changing out the Radiator Air Vents
* I purchased new Gorton vents and will be changing these out on my own
* Water level issues are by far my top concern

I have been getting ripped off by companies stopping by and charging a $150 service fee and they end up doing nothing to solve the water level issues. The first company told me that he was going to charge $1200 to change out the radiator vents and install a main vent. That was a ridiculous price for VENTS and that wasn't going to solve the issue either. I'm going to change out the radiator vents myself, not sure about a main vent yet.

The second company was good but they are busy throughout the next week and I need to get this resolved ASAP. I travel often so I have to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. I feel like I can't just leave the heating system running when I'm away. I need to watch it like a hawk to avoid water level underflow issues or overflow flooding issues.

If anyone has any advice or knows of any good technicians in my area that would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited December 2016
    I think Charles Garrity is out by you.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ocean123
  • ocean123
    Thank you, he's actually out in Central MA which is a bit of a hike. Appreciate the thought :smile:
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    My best guess, with the water issue is the boiler needs a very good, very slow skim. Does your boiler have a skim port on it (A full port valve above the boiler water line) ? If so, skim it very slowly to get the oils off of the surface of the boiler water. That, by itself may also resolve the problem with the radiators not heating. With oils on the surface of the water, the water will push back into the wet returns, when the boiler is making steam and that causes the Low water Cut-off to call for water, which then makes the boiler over filled when the boiler is not in a heating cycle.
    Post a couple pictures of the boiler and piping around it, if you can. If you get a good steam guy out, like Charles Garrity, have him:
    - Show you how to skim the boiler (and add a skim port if one is not there)
    - Do an annual Maintenance, if it hasn't been done
    - Check the Main vent(s), Add or replace if needed
    - Check the radiator vents
    - Check the firing rate
    - Check and adjust the Pressuretrol as needed

He will know to do these things but but also should know what needs to happen.
    ocean123
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    But I don't think @Charlie from wmass is going to solve your problems with an auto water feeder. What you are describing doesn't sound like a water feeder issue. Boiler properly skimmed? Near boiler piping correct? Pressures correct? Main venting correct?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ocean123
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    It sounds like the boiler wasn't properly commissioned. From your description you don't have an issue with a water feeder you need to skim and look at the install to see if there are problems. Post pictures of your installation especially the near boiler piping.
    ocean123 said:

Thank you, he's actually out in Central MA which is a bit of a hike. Appreciate the thought :smile:

Do you want someone close or someone who will do it right? You need to decide that. Personally I want it done right.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ocean123RomanGK_26986764589
  • ocean123
    KC_Jones said:

It sounds like the boiler wasn't properly commissioned. From your description you don't have an issue with a water feeder you need to skim and look at the install to see if there are problems. Post pictures of your installation especially the near boiler piping.

ocean123 said:

Do you want someone close or someone who will do it right? You need to decide that. Personally I want it done right.
    Totally Agree. I just am not sure if he'd be willing to come all the way out here, I have a hard enough time getting people to come from 20 minutes away. I'll give him a call though.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I am pretty sure he will travel a long way...you would be surprised. Call him up.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ocean123SWEIj a_2
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    How did it end? Did you get it resolved...Did the guy install a 9 D with the so called auto feeder...
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Can't tell from the pic...Do you have and indirect or a wet loop off the boiler....Is that a taco 50x attached on the rat. Side of the boiler