Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydraulic Baseboard staying at 65

skoko
skoko Member Posts: 4
I have hydraulic base board heat. Thermostat is set at 69, but all of the sudden, temp won't go over 65. Any ideas. The baseboards seem warm, so it's heating, but not heating enough. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    Sounds like water temperature is too low. Are you the homeowner or a renter? What kind of boiler is it? I find that if its a condensing boiler or possibly has any sort of outdoor reset it could be a setup problem. Please give more detail and we will be all over this problem with you.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • skoko
    Homeowner, house was built in late 60s. Boiler is set at 180 degrees.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    Does the boiler run non stop while failing to maintain temperature? How cold is it outside? Windy?
    Is this a new condition or does it always fall short in cold conditions?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • skoko
    Thank you for the responses. This is the first full winter we've had in the house, but this is the first time this has happened. It's been 5-10 degrees outside since it started. The boiler seems to be running continuously and not reaching thermostat temp. Should I turn the boiler up to 185, 190,?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    You might look for ways to tighten up the house. Seal any drafts, upgrade insulation where possible, consider insulated window coverings.

If everything is working correctly, it sounds like the boiler may be undersized?

A competent heating contractor could perform a heat loss calculation and use a blower door to test for building leakage.

Check with local govt websites, and local utilities sometimes they offer free, or low cost energy analysis or upgrade assistance.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Is the boiler ever getting to 180? Does it cycle on and off during a call for heat? Are the baseboards clean and unobstructed? Look especially at the space between the heater cover and the floor.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    After seeing the pic I am with Zman, that particular boiler I have had a few times where it fires for 30 seconds or less and never gets the place up to temp. As he said make sure its hitting 180 and the return pipe is hot (be careful that return pipe may be very hot) by tapping it with your fingers don't place your hand on it.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • skoko
    I will take a look at the temp when I get home later. Thank you for all the help!