Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cv

Options
icy78
icy78 Member Posts: 404
Can someone explain Cv to me. I know it's gpm at 60f water at 1 psi pressure drop. How does that relate to a valve I may come across in a system? For instance I may have a coil that is not heating well and it has a 3-way valve for mixing rated at 2.1 Cv. How would I know if that Cv is too high? How would I determine the pressure drop across it ( without ports)? On another discussion I said the 3-ways were a Cv of 1.9 and was told that was probably too high. Why? Is that data to be used only when designing a system? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    (F divided by Cv)2 x 2.31 = valve head loss

F = flow rate

Cv = Cv of valve
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Change the Cv to ft/head and then add to head of system for total head
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Lower Cv valves are usually include in coil kits as they have a higher shut-off pressure.

If for example you had a commercial building with a system pump that could develop 20, 30, 50 psi or more differential pressure, you need to assure the ZV can close off against that head.

Dig deep enough and you find ZVs with various Cv choices.

This spreadsheet show how to determine flow, Cv or pressure drop if you know two values.

Be aware of installing a high Cv valve where a low Cv was designed, that leads to noise and possible ghost flow, not enough shut off pressure.

Use a valve with too low Cv and you see high pressure drop.

If it is a control or modulating type of valve, valve authority becomes another factor.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I think this thread will help your understanding.
    http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/160369/valve-selection-valve-authority-rangeability#latest

Low cv valves are appropriate for applications where the valve has high pressure to work against.

In your case, the circulators are having trouble pushing through the restricted valves. It is also difficult to balance a system like yours because the slightest change on one loop has a dramatic effect on others.

In your case, valves with a cv approximately equal to designed flow rate would be more appropriate.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    icy78
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Thanks, you guys. I've got some reading to do. One more question then. A valve with a higher Cv, say 10, would then be less restrictive and thus allow for example, 2 gpm thru a coil at a much lower head. Am I on the right track?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    You are correct that a cv of 10 is less restrictive. The trick to getting things balanced correctly is to size all the valves to approximately the same cv to flow ratio.
    You will run into trouble if some valves have a cv twice the rated flow and others are 1/2.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein