Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tech support

Options
lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
So I know at this time of the year we are all busy...but when you have a customer demanding answers and you look to the manufacturer for support on their product, and they say they will call back sometime in the next 3 days...maybe... I think they are in need of more support staff...

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,970
    Options
    Tell me about it....Nice right? Many times, in this business, you on your own boy! That's why guys like Glenn Stanton, Timmie, Mr Holohan ...are treasures . Mad Dog
  • lchmb
    Options
    I have been fortunate in my years to know some great people...and all of those you've named are on the top of that list....
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    In theory the reps should be able to offer product support also. That is their main job, and what they are paid to do.
    Pushing it to the factory when it gets beyond their expertise or comfort range, is the next step.

Help comes from all the chain of distribution. There are a number of wholesale and counter staff that I have met that know their products in and out and have the most hands on experience, from dealing with contractors and installers on a daily basis.

Sorry about the hassle.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I was a firm believer in getting training in all the products you installed...By doing so you learn and as well become familiar with local reps that are there when you need them....often they will give you there cell number...that is a huge bonus....Does the manufacture of boilers even accept calls from homeowners....these days?
  • lchmb
    Options
    I have 3 numbers for reps from this particular brand...all 3 numbers are no longer in service....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    @j a -- speaking as a building super -- and sometime homeowner -- the answer to your question is "don't be daft". Fortunately, there is this site -- and some really wonderful people on it -- who are willing to share their expertise and knowledge. Some of whom are related to manufacturers, some are more or less career trainers and some just overworked really really good professionals. And even a few dedicated amateurs. Otherwise, the average super or homeowner is pretty much at the mercy of the local talent -- which is sometimes knowledgeable and sometimes not so much. As we have seen...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Daft, meaning silly....of course not....

@j a -- speaking as a building super -- and sometime homeowner -- the answer to your question is "don't be daft". Fortunately, there is this site -- and some really wonderful people on it -- who are willing to share their expertise and knowledge. Some of whom are related to manufacturers, some are more or less career trainers and some just overworked really really good professionals. And even a few dedicated amateurs. Otherwise, the average super or homeowner is pretty much at the mercy of the local talent -- which is sometimes knowledgeable and sometimes not so much. As we have seen...

Daft, meaning silly....No it's a real legitimate question....my old supply house did not sell certain appliances to homeowners,for very good reason....in my opinion....And yes this is a very good helpful site...I myself deferred to it on several occasions when I had my business and was a listed contractor...I think you missed my point.....Pretty sure the guys out there grinding away know what I speak of....
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    @j a -- I really don't think I missed your point -- I was sort of adding to it. And, as you note, there are good reasons why supply houses don't sell things (and not just appliances) to homeowners -- or building superintendents. The policy (which, fortunately for me, my local supply house isn't fanatical about) does, however, make it extremely difficult for folks such as me to do some things we are quite capable of doing. Fortunately (ducks for the foxhole) there are internet houses which fill the gap.

Many, if not most, homeowners do not have the training (apprenticeship, where possible) to do much of the work, nor the tools -- nor the inclination. Some -- and we have a number on this site -- do. The same could be said for building supers, most of whom are underpaid and overworked and treated like mop-pushers by tenants, landlords, and professional tradespeople alike -- and, I will agree, a good many of them are glorified mop-pushers. Some are not, however. And for both the interested and able homeowner, and the interested and able super, it would be nice if they could get a little more help from the manufacturers and reps.

And, as I said -- thank heavens this site exists, and provides a space where hard working, knowledgeable, experienced and generous individuals are able and free to help others learn and improve and even, perhaps, give back from time to time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canuckerj a_2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Wow that is a shame.
    I have not had that issue before.
    And I hope I never do.
    What is it you need help w/?
  • Jamie Hall
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I don't, personally. Now. Fortunately, I met -- through this site -- @Charlie from wmass , who is first class and doesn't seem to mind helping pesky supers and homeowners -- and I've been given a lot of really valuable free advice by others on the site, too -- I know I'll miss someone, but a few: @Steamhead , @gerry gill , @Gordy , @Mad Dog , @Sailah , @nicholas bonham-carter , @hot rod , @Mark Eatherton @Dave in QCA , @vaporvac . To the guys and gals I missed, my apologies!

And an especial thanks to @Dan Holohan and @Erin Holohan Haskell !!!

But before... frankly, I had little knowledge of any kind of heating in depth (though I am a fairly decent journeyman plumber) and trying to keep the systems running in the buildings I care for was a constant nightmare. It's not that hard to do things right, when you know how. It's just about impossible when you don't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Charlie from wmassCanucker
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I've always found that Manufacturing training it's more about our product is better than the other guy not about anything insightfull I find the only way to learn how to deal with a product is to read instruction manuals. The only way to know how to install heating systems is to get books written by professionals and read them. Before I discovered Dan I read Starbucks and Audells.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Tinman
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Jamie, my ears were burning so I had to come and check out this thread. I am going to have to save your quote, as you stated above. It is a real keeper. "It's not that hard to do things right, when you know how. It's just about impossible when you don't. "

Charlie mentioned Audells. Several years ago, I was given a set of Audells by a person as payment for resolving some TERRIBLE balance issues in her steam system. She had somehow acquired this "in new condition" set as search of information about her steam system. I was thrilled to accept it as my only payment for giving her uniform temperatures in her house. It's a GREAT publication.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    Charlie from wmasskcopp
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,970
    Options
    Either you do BIG numbers OR you're EXTREMELY sharp and on top of your game. This! Is how you'll get appropriate responses when you're in a jam. Mad Dog
    Charlie from wmass
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have 14 different Audel books on my shelf. I acquired most of these 40 years ago when I realized I had to diversify my trades to include HVAC and plumbing and not only electrical, in order to survive in a rural area where you were expected to handle all of those trades.
    Some of those books contain outdated methods and wrong advice.........but I work on some outdated installs that were not correct. So you know where they are coming from.
    This was my first introduction to steam and hot water heating. And some AC and heat pumps.

My books are from the 60-70's and so is a lot of the equipment I see in steam and hot water (actually older).

But what is really astounding is that homeowners used to have these books! In that era homeowners used to actually read and study about they had in their basement to heat and cool the house. I could expound on this for a long time, but it is amazing that people (kids?) today can't find their air filters....light a WH pilot flame....wash out an AC......reset a CB...and God forbid...change a plug fuse..... etc. Often if the HO is from a farm you can talk them thru the process. But those from the city....college people...forget it. And you feel bad charging a service call for something that simple......feel bad for a little bit anyway until you cash the check, that erases all guilt from your mind . ;)
    So it is obvious that these trades are a good place to be.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I don't call our local rep. anymore. When it comes to Viessmann, Triangle Tube or Lochinvar, the factory tech. support is who I call unless it's after hours and I'm desperate.

The local rep's. usually carry many different product lines and they don't have the experience that the factory tech's do.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Charlie from wmass
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How many others on here have called tech support and had to explain an aspect of a boiler to the person on tech support?
    Or even better had them say when you figure that out can you call us back and let us know so we can put it in our manual?

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    SWEIrick in Alaska
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    @Hatterasguy you're still not convincing me to buy their boiler.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • lchmb
    Options
    I have to say..having dealt with HTP in reference to an issue with an 850, I had excellent results. Not only did one of their leads travel to the job and go over the system. He left me the tools needed to service all of HTP products.

In reference to what this post was written on, I'm sure I know the issue. I'll be there today to hopefully resolve it. I was just floored when the very nice lady on the phone said a 1 to 3 day call back due to high demands....

I personally think this site (and oil tech talk) have helped raise the bar as far as I'm concerned. I dont accept good enough because I'm afraid someone will post about one of my installs here...;)
    vaporvac