Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you know when your chimney is no good?

Options
zvalve
zvalve Member Posts: 83
I Have a hydronic natural gas heating system with a Dunkirk boiler on a brick chimney with a terra coat liner and a chimney guy came over to clean my chimneys which also includes a wood burning fireplace with a metal jacketed chimney. He only inspected the clean out in the basement underneath the flue pipe and said I needed two 2000 dollar liners in both chimneys cause he couldn't clean them. What is the voice of reason here? How can I tell if my boiler's chimney is degrading it's performance and if the wood burning chimney has dangerous amounts of creosote?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Get a second opinion from another chimney sweep.
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    How did he inspect the chimneys from the basement cleanout? Why couldn't he clean them? Get somebody to inspect and clean them from the roof.

You say terracotta liner - but you probably mean fire clay, which looks a bit like terracotta.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Get several quotes and check the credentials of the contractors. Many con artists now in sweeping. If you have a fireplace with a listed factory chimney you don't reline it as those chimneys are a listed component of the fireplace. Also, fireplace liners must be sized in ratio to the net free opening, plus special insulation to meet the 2,100°F listing for wood. Heater liners sized to the appliance collar, firing input and height. That price would pay for a small liner such as a water heater but not a larger liner in my area. Also, insist on a stainless steel liner with lifetime warranty or better and get brand. Just because there is a terra cotta tile liner doesn't mean it is intact. Get a Level II inspection with video scan and still captures of defects. Meanwhile, you can go online and look up NFPA 211 in a free read mode. Claiming he can't clean them is BS and he's a scammer.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Get a second, and third opinion. , and demand a level II as Bob said.

There are a lot of things that can effect performance of a fire clay liner.

Spalling, miss alined sections, cracks. Then there is the whole fossil fueled dilemma of low exhaust temps condensing , and eating the fire clay liner.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Professional chimney sweeps usually belong to the Chimney Safety International Association (CSIA). They have a website and their members are listed there. It is www.csia.org. All carry photo ID and have a registration number you can use to make sure they are legit. There are other professional groups, but I believe the CSIA is the largest. Sadly, the sweep business is plagued by scammers. I am re sending this because the original web address was wrong.
    GordyNew England SteamWorks
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 794
    Options
    If your chimney is not collapsing and falling apart it is probably okay. There are chemical ways to clean creosote out of a chimney or a good chimney sweep. There shouldn't be that much build up in a flue a boiler.

A combustion test and draft test on the boiler would definitely guarantee the flue for the boiler is okay. If the boiler flue is full of soot you have bigger problems than a bad flue.
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Ask your local building/plumbing inspector for reputable chimney contractors, they deal with them very oftem
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Professional chimney sweeps usually belong to the Chimney Sweeps International Association (CSIA). They have a website and their members are listed there. I think it is www.csia.com. All carry photo ID and have a registration number you can use to make sure they are legit. There are other professional groups, but I believe the CSIA is the largest. Sadly, the sweep business is plagued by scammers. Definitely get a second opinion.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • zvalve
    zvalve Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments and valuable information.