Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low loss header set up correctly?

Options
While I'm at it--can someone explain if this low loss header is set up correctly? Seems counter intuitive to me.

Looking at the first image I will explain the configuration:

Bottom right: Primary hot water flow from the boiler
Bottom left: Primary return from the heating circuits (two floors of radiant and a hydro air unit but not the DHW)
Top left: This feeds hot water to the main heating circuits (two floors of radiant and a hydro air unit but not the DHW)
Top right: This returns water back to the boiler

Thanks!
Jason

Comments

• Jason_Talbot
    Jason_Talbot Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks Gennady. According to that manual my LLH is piped completely wrong. What is the impact of such a mistake. Worth correcting?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    It looks completely correct to me. What do you see wrong?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jason_Talbot
    Options
    In the schematic supply enters and leaves the top and return is on the bottom. My system has boiler supply enter the bottom and system supply leaving he top. System return enters the bottom and exits the top.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The supply from the boiler, the hottest water, needs to feed into the top connection. Supply to the distribution also pipes from the opposite top connection.

Piping wise you could flop, but air removal is best at the hottest location, with vent at top
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Options

In the schematic supply enters and leaves the top and return is on the bottom. My system has boiler supply enter the bottom and system supply leaving he top. System return enters the bottom and exits the top.

The left hand pipe on the boiler is its supply; the right side is the return.

What boiler are you looking at?

Bob Boan
  • Jason_Talbot
    Options
    ok i'm an idiot- thanks. i mixed up main supply and return. didn't realize the circulator pumps were on the returns (intuitively thought they would be on the main supply pipes)
  • Ironman
    Options
    The pumps belong on the return in that type of setup. They're pumping away from the PONPC.
    Bob Boan