Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unused Steam Runs On One Pipe Steam System

Hi,

I recently moved into a 1922 colonial house with a one pipe steam system. I've been updating the system and performing much needed maintenance to the boiler, radiators, and vents. I've added all new Gorton vents on the rads, new #2's on the mains, a 5oz pressure gauge on the boiler and I've set the pressuretroll as low as it can go. There are several branches of the main in the basement that no longer run all the way to a radiator. Or the radiator was moved and the old line is still there.

I've removed as many as I could (the smaller diameter pipes (see attached pics)) but my question is, should I remove some of the larger branches that are no longer used (see pics). Do they retain air and hamper steam movement? Do they speed up or slow down venting? Should I leave them alone or get out the big wrench and breaker bar?

Any input is most appreciated!

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    There's no harm in removing them, or leaving them really. If you're bored, have at it!
  • MAPSteamhead
    MAPSteamhead Member Posts: 12
    Hi Dan Scully! I'm mainly concerned with how much air or condensate they are trapping. Do the dead runs hamper the system from heating up? Do the mess with the systems pressure, etc? Thanks!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,090

Hi Dan Scully! I'm mainly concerned with how much air or condensate they are trapping. Do the dead runs hamper the system from heating up? Do the mess with the systems pressure, etc? Thanks!

No -- they won't do much of anything either way. And who knows -- they might be useful some day!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    New England SteamWorks
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,038
    I have used plugged TO's for main vents, weren't in the ideal spot but better than no vents at all.
    I would not use plugs in the Tee, rather a 3" nipple and cap.
    Getting the plugs out for those vents was a challenge after 30-40 years.

You would not want to leave a run that does not drain back to the main, it will fill with water and your steam may find it and talk.
  • MAPSteamhead
    MAPSteamhead Member Posts: 12
    Thanks everyone for the input!! Happy Holidays!