Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve fix

Heater_3
Heater_3 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Valve between the mixing valve and cold water feed is leaking. Can I turn off the cold water line feed for the coil/hot water tank and open the drain valve to replace it and then afterward turn the cold water on? Should furnace be turned off? How much water will come out of the tank?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,095
    This valve -- is it physically above the hot water tank and the domestic hot water coil in the boiler? If it is, then there is no need to drain down the whole tank or turn off the boiler. Turn off the cold water line feed and open a hot water faucet somewhere, then just drain enough hot water off to get the water below the valve and have at it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Heater_3
    No, the emptying valve was installed below the cold water feed shutoff as well as below the mixing valve. That's why I'm assuming the tank will empty when opening this leaking valve , and is why I'm thinking that the system needs to be shut off so the furnace doesn't fire when I have the hot water tank empty. I'm curious as to how much water will vacate the tank. Thanks for your response.
  • Heater_3
    To be clearer, I'm only talking about the tank with the heating coil needed to gain hot water. That emptying valve below the tank position in the furnace is leaking.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    A picture of the valve would be better. Not sure if you are talking about a gate valve or what. If it is a gate valve and is just leaking around the handle, it can be repaired without removing it. If it is
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Sounds like a boiler drain is leaking? Needs washer, cap, or replacement if so