Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace gas valve problem help! It's cold!

Options
ali6669
ali6669 Member Posts: 4
I have a gas furnace that will turn on but won't ignite the burners. The electric coil igniter glows red hot, Once it gets hot I can hear it try to click on but it does not ignite like there is no gas getting to the burners. We have had 3 different people here to fix it and they get it running by basically doing nothing, only disconnecting and reconnecting various things, then it quits working within 3-20 hours. The last repair guy was trying to replace the gas valve but said it might not even fix it and did no testing or anything to diagnose the valve as the actual problem so I didn't want to spend the money for nothing. We can test with a multimeter but I'm not sure exactly what to test or what the reading should be? Any help is appreciated even to get it running temporarily cause it's Sunday evening and only 45 degrees in my house. Thanks!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Do you have other gas appliances such as a water heater? Is it working OK?
    Has any of these pro people checked the gas pressure at your furnace? It could be going up and down because of a faulty regulator.
    delta T
  • ali6669
    Options
    There is definitely gas getting to the gas valves, we disconnecteted the pipe to check and had the gas company here. I put multi meter on the two wires going to the gas valve and get a reading around 10v while igniter coil is heating then it goes to 0.0v when I hear it click to try to ignite burners...is this correct or am I even testing the right thing?
  • ali6669
    Options
    Yes hot water tank is working and no the so called pros literally turned a knob or 2 then left when it fired up...of course the turning of knobs only works for them hah
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Put your meter on the control board where the transformer actually is connected and what does that voltage show?.
    rick in Alaska
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Send some pictures of the controls and also Make and Model of the furnace.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Tim and I both have been waiting for your next posting........
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I hate it when they do this at least tell us it got fixed.
    delta T