Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell vs8187a gas valve

Options
jed42988
jed42988 Member Posts: 5
I've noticed something is going wrong with the valve on my heater unit bc I have to tap on it to get my burners to kick on. I've been looking for ways to fix this problem but of course that part is not manufactured anymore. I've been dealing with going down and tapping on unit to get to turn on but I'm nervous that winter is here and the tapping procedure might finally stop working. I need help anyone??
MasterBummer

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    That is a Powerpile (Honeywell) self generating system. You will need a meter with a millivolt scale in order to trouble shoot it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Go to section at the beginning with Dans picture and click the second "Help" (in Red) then look for Tim McElwain and then Procedure for Troubleshhooting Powerpile Systems.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Once you go through that procedure you may

1. Need to pull the pilot and clean the pilot orifice
    2. Replace the pilot generator
    3. Fix splices in wires
    4. Make sure all switches are closed
    5. If the valve needs replaced a VS820A combination valve can be used as a replacement. It will require all tubing and connections to originate from the valve.
    MilanD
  • jed42988
    Options
    If I were to go with the vs820a then I would then have to take off the pressure regultor in front of it also? Does that have a electronic pilot on it?
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    The VS820 includes pilot-on-off knob, pressure regulator and operator. The "S" in the model is for self generating so it is a perfect replacement for your valve. Again before you change the valve make sure your millivolts are good. Those systems can fail and all that is wrong is the pilot generator not providing enough millivolts. many times all you have to do is clean the pilot.
  • jed42988
    Options
    Ok thanks I'm gonna give that a shot first I may just replace to the Vs820 to be safe for the winter coming it is a old setup I added a picture of what my setup running is.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Before you change that valve you better check the millivolts or have someone do it. You may find when you put in the new valve it is not working and it could have simply been a lack of millivolts not a bad valve.
  • jed42988
    Options
    Hey Tim I finally got around to trying to check millivolts on the unit but I don't think my multimeter is up to par with being able to get accurate numbers, I did get some readings but i don't know if that's gonn give me my answer to what is wrong or not. I did notice that my heater has a thermocouple and a thermopile. What are the odds of that I've been trying to start small and replace the small things before going to the valve but I can't even find a replacement that offers two in one with a self standing pilot. I did notice today that the unit wasn't firing up again so I turned the stat from heat to off and back to heat and the burners kicked on. I feel like it's either the thermopile or the valve but I have a old matchbook looking thermopile it's not long like the newer ones. Are the thermopiles cleanable maybe with steel wool or something? I found a universal thermocouple today I am going to start with that but I have a feeling it's not that.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    What kind of heater is this? It should not have a generator and a thermocouple typically. Some pictures would help. The cartridge thermopile is obsolete and would require a complete pilot change out to a Q314 pilot with a Q313 powerpile generator.
  • jed42988
    Options
    I have a luxaire unit, I am not home but I will post some pictures later when I get done work. It deffinetely seems like there is a thermopile and a thermocouple. The two wires from the matchbook looking thing plugs into the gas valve and there's a tube like gas line that comes from the valve to what looks to me like a thermocouple.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    That is the bleed for gas to burn of which comes off the top of the valve. Make sure that is not plugged as it can hold the valve from opening giving you no heat.
  • dbergs
    dbergs Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same exact setup and the same exact issue as @jed42988 (I have to tap on the gas valve to get my burners to turn on - although for me, this issue comes up only intermittently, usually after the burners are not on for a few hours). The mv readings are as follows: 530-550mv open circuit and 280-300mv closed circuit. Do these readings indicate I should replace the thermopile? Pilot flame looks nice. If these readings are "good" I would then check the bleeder line to see if it's plugged. Is the symptom itself (i.e. the need to tap on the gas valve to turn on burners) indicative of 1 of the 2 possible issues (i.e. bad thermopile or plugged bleeder line)?