Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems after pipe replacement

Options
TMK
TMK Member Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Strictly Steam
I recently replaced some leaking pipes on my old one-pipe steam heat system, and now I have a strange problem: one stack heats fine, the other doesn't.

I assumed it was a problem with too much air in the systems, so I closed all the valves on the heating stack, and turned the thermostat up quite high. Then, on the non-heating stack, I removed several radiators and opened the valves, which usually purges the system almost instantaneously. Now, hours later, while I can still hear some gurgling, there is very little air movement, and definitely no steam.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Was boiler skimmed after the new pipes were replaced?
    Was pitch maintained on the pipes that were changed?
    Paul S_3
  • TMK
    Options
    Thanks - I will double check that, although I am pretty sure the pitch is good.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    Er... Removed several radiators and opened the valves? Say again? Just as well that there is something amiss -- that's a recipe for serious burns on a steam system.

First, off, all the valves on a one pipe steam should always be fully open. Second, turning the thermostat up quite high doesn't change anything; either the boiler is running or it's not. Third, a steam system is always full of air when the boiler isn't running. The purpose of the vents on the mains and the radiators is to let the air out when the boiler fires up.

All that said, steam can't go where there is either water trapped or the air can't get out. Since this happened after you changed some pipes, I would go over all the pipes to make absolutely sure that there is nowhere that water can be trapped, for starters.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I assume the pipes that leaked and were replaced were wet returns (below the boiler's water line? If so, did you keep them that way or did you make some changes that might now put those returns above the water line? Pictures of the boiler and piping would help.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    Fred said:

I assume the pipes that leaked and were replaced were wet returns (below the boiler's water line? If so, did you keep them that way or did you make some changes that might now put those returns above the water line? Pictures of the boiler and piping would help.

Hadn't thought of that possibility. Never underestimate the opposition... if that has happened, that could cause huge problems -- including the ones the OP describes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • TMK
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fred said:

They new pipes sit a little higher - two inches - than the previous pipes, as they were in fact rusted from the outside by being on the ground... but I'm pretty sure are still below the waterline (the boiler sits on a large concrete block, elevating it by nearly half a foot. I will try to take some pics tomorrow. Thanks so much!