Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Method for finding broken underground steam pipes and dry or wet returns

I was thinking a thermal imaging camera would be good for this.... any experience would be appreciated.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    I've used a Fluke VT04 with smashing success for the very purpose.

I hear a cat also works.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,001
    I have herd the cat story as well, or walk around with bare feet,
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,433
    edited December 2016
    What is your intent here @The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)? Sorry to respond to a question with a question, but my approach has always been, if there's a leak anywhere in the wet return piping, whether it's buried or not, it's time to propose complete replacement with isolation/purge valves (obviously every job has its variables, but you get the idea). Then again, you may just be asking to ask.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited December 2016
    A thermal imager works wonders for this. We found a leaking hot water pipe in a slab last year that had stumped multiple contractors over a 20-year period.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I've used just about every type of leak detection there is, and infrared seems to have the highest return on the investment.

The only other "guaranteed" method, is helium leak detection, and it's fairly expensive. Plus you'd have to figure out how to block the escape of all means of escape.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,235
    It sounds like I have another reason to buy a new tool.... an IR camera. Any other recommendations for models useful for a variety of uses...ie checking traps etc. Also, I agree, Dan, that the complete lines should be replaced. HOwever, you know how that is....you can talk until your blue in the face and not get anywhere in many cases. Also, how well do the cameras work on really low temperature return lines ? We've upgraded a number of 2 pipe systems to orifice plates and the returns run very cool....like 80 to 100F?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,235
    And Mark, never heard of helium testing, but that could get challenging capping all the connections.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    @The Steam Whisperer I recommend getting yourself one of these for Christmas. I use mine a lot because I always have it on hand
    http://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s60-7928.php
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 708
    I've been using a Flir One for my Iphone with an extension adapter. I use it to see failing f&ts traps etc. It's been a handy tool for me. And it doesn't break the budget.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    I really want one of those CAT smartphones.

I do like my FLIR E4 very much but it's not a cheap date.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    The cat smartphone is a little dear also, How about the Flir 1 attachment for Iphone or android phones, that can be had for a little over $200 if you look around.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Grallert
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 708

This from my Flir One. It's a good intro to IR I think. though I have no experience with the higher end tools. Its very helpful for my purpose.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Sailah
    Here's a screenshot of my E4 that was upgraded to E8 specs

photo FLIR0041_zpshwg2o7tg.jpg
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    edited December 2016
    By the time you get the phone and add the flir attachment, you aren't far from the price of the Cat S60. Now drop your phone from 6 feet high onto concrete and then go toss it in a pool. Think it'll still work? I know that Cat phone will. That's the difference in price. Not worth it for someone that doesn't need it but if you do... priceless B)
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Sailah
    Canucker said:

By the time you get the phone and add the flir attachment, you aren't far from the price of the Cat S60. Now drop your phone from 6 feet high onto concrete and then go toss it in a pool. Think it'll still work? I know that Cat phone will. That's the difference in price. Not worth it for someone that doesn't need it but if you do... priceless B)

That's kinda the way I look at it. There aren't free phones anymore, any of the newer class phones are $500+. I do think thermal imaging is a great tool. I use my FLIR all the time and would probably use the CAT phone even more because it would be on me. The FLIR has its own briefcase and not really pocketable. But I believe the imager in the FLIR 1 is the same as in the CAT phone.

I need a new phone anyways had mine for years so maybe I'll spring for it.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Confirmed. A cat will work.
    terry
    Canucker