Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler doesn't shut off!

Options
Hello,

Hoping someone here can help me. New boiler installed today, a New Yorker boiler. Oil fired, forced hot water, single zone. It doesn't turn off, and it's not the thermostat. In fact I've removed the thermostat from the wall and it's still beating the house. Baseboards aren't as hot as usual but still very warm. I turned off the kill switch and it powered down, but radiators still warm. Something must be wrong at the controls. Help!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,572
    Options
    What did the installer have to say. Is this a DIY?
    Sounds like the controls are incorrectly wired. Got a picture?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BaldingFatGuy
    BaldingFatGuy Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I'll take a picture in a minute. I rent this house landlord used a contractor I don't know who they are. He is impossible to reach, I wasn't told boiler was being replaced. Found out when they showed up with it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,612
    Options
    Well, tell the landlord to get him back. he's got the controls or wiring screwed up.

Ask the landlord when the city is coming to inspect the job. Maybe that will wake him up
  • BaldingFatGuy
    Options
    It's also being suggested that there's a bad valve. When there's a call for heat, the circulator turns on for about ten seconds and shuts back off.
  • BaldingFatGuy
    Options
    I've tried. He's been very difficult to reach, I had a leaking oil tank that he temporarily fixed in August. I told him we were running out of oil, he finally replaced it today, that's how I ended up with new boiler too. My wife and I are in contract to buy a home actually. Just trying to figure out how to make this work for now.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,700
    Options
    Until you get someone that knows what they're doing, just kill the power when the house gets too toasty. Or you could be clever and turn the high limit knob down to 140 or so (I have no idea how cold it is where you are). If you do this then the low limit down to 125 or so.

Good grief please grab a knife cut away that thermostat sheathing and fuzzy white rip cord.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,700
    Options
    Looks like the ground wire doesn't quite reach the green screw.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • BaldingFatGuy
    Options
    It also looks like the boiler doesn't have a flow valve...
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,518
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Check the wiring. There is no burner neutral, and the burner and hot might be reversed. Could you send a photo a bit further back so we can see where the wires go?

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • BaldingFatGuy
    Options
    I will post more photos later when I return from work. I can't find a flow valve anywhere on the boiler. I think that water is therefore flowing via gravity after pump turns off, pulling heat out of the boiler and making it kick back on.