Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace problem

Options
TimB
TimB Member Posts: 1
Name: Tim Bennett
Email: TimUK@sbcglobal.net
Message: I have a 1979 Rheem 100000 btu furnace. It has a Honeywell s8610U ignition controller and a White Rodgers 36C68209 gas valve. Electronic ignition. So sometimes the pilot stays on after the main burner shuts off. This causes a flame out of sequence shut down of the main burner. The only way to rectify it is to turn off the gas so the pilot goes out. Then turn the gas back on and turn up the thermostat. All will operate properly until the next time the pilot sticks on. I ordered a replacement valve but was sent a 36H32. I think that was a mistake. The existing valve has 3 spade connectors next to each other ( outer 2 used) and then 2 wires going to the solenoid. These new valves only have the 3 spade connectors and a ground on the case. So how do you connect it to the ignition controller?
Can you buy a replacement solenoid for the old valve?
This email was received from https://heatinghelp.com

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Was this the original parts for the furnace?
    The Rheems of the 1980's that i have seen used the same brand of ignition module and gas valve. They used 3 different brands but I never saw them mixed.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    The fact that you have an S8610U says that the original module was replaced with the S8610U as it is a Universal replacement.

Before you change the valve see if you have 24 volts to the valve when the call for heat ends. If you do the module is the problem not the valve.

If you can take pictures of the wiring terminals on each valve.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    On the old valve you had terminals 1 and 2 which was the main valve solenoid and 3 and 4 were the pilot vallve.

On the 36H MV/PV go to "C" and MV goes to "M" PV to "P". to insure a good ground run a seperate wire from the pilot bracket to the ground connection on the new valve.