Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless gas water heaters

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
I am looking to install a tankless gas water heater.
I work for F W Webb and I have the following units available to me.
Rinnai, Bosch and Navien tankless gas water heaters.
What units have you installed and are there any service problems with these units.
I have soft water but I will still be installing the valve kit on the bottom of the unit.
How long have you been installing tankless gas water heaters.
Please don't send me the video of the bear telling me I am stupid for wanting to install a tankless gas water heater.
Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I've done Rinnai and Navein. Nothings come back so far on the Rinnai's I've had out there for about 10 yrs, the Navien's have had water pressure sensor false lockouts on 2 of about 10 installed. Dirty/bad sensors. Too fragile a design IMO.

No complaints with performance on either. Disclaimer: who knows if clients called others for service post installation, I'm just reporting my experience.

I'd prefer not to sell Bosch.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    bob eck said:

Please don't send me the video of the bear telling me I am stupid for wanting to install a tankless gas water heater.
    Thanks for your time.

LOL!!

delta T
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    I love that video.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    HatterasguyKoan
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Options
    bob eck said:

LOL! I had not seen that video so I googled it and OMG too funny. There are use cases for tankless though, my inlaws just went tankless and so far are happy with their choice.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I have installed at least 5 Rinnai and only one Bosch. I took the Bosch out and installed a Rinnai. Bosch would not hold a tune well on propane, whistled at times and would randomly lock out in the middle of a shower.

Only problem I've had on Rinnai is at a school with recirc loop.... I didn't do the install, it is not the right application and there are no savings there. Flame failure, the unit has been there for 5 years running almost 24/7. Cleaned, flame rods, but still random error code, 12 I think.

If it will last that long in that environment will last Almost indefinitely in a residential environment IMHO.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Of those three, I would go with the Rinnai. Stay away from Bosch, just stay away. Navien can be a part failure nightmere. Sensors (especially the pressure sensor) go south much faster than they should, and I have had less than satisfying experiences with tech/warranty support from Navien.

My personal favorite is Rheem, I have had only one problem with one (I did not install) and it was in a GREENhouse (I'm in Colorado) and they would run about 3000 gallons through every other day, it was not hard piped, instead they hooked hoses up to it every time they wanted to use it, dirt floor, horrible environment, and after three years the water flow sensor died. This is not what these units are designed for at all, would be totally fine in a residential setting. Easy change out on the part and back up and running. I have had an excellent experience with Rheem so far.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    gschallert Where did you find the video at? My co worker wants to see it. Thanks Bob
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Options
    bob eck said:

gschallert Where did you find the video at? My co worker wants to see it. Thanks Bob

On youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffdymvjluk
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Rinnai all the way!
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Who's parts do you guys stock the most of?
    I've installed plenty of Naviens without any major problems other then 2 flow sensors.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    Of those 3.... Rinnai is the only real option.
    I use State and Noritz is also a good unit....
    FW Webb does not have either of those.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Rinnai and Takagi (AO Smith/State) have been doing this forever. They learned from mistakes made 20 or more years ago. Neither is likely to disappear from the market any time soon and you stand at least a reasonable chance of getting parts and support.
    kcopp