Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help: Cracked Packing Nut

I was suspecting a leak on this valve, so I disassembled it and repacked it. Unfortunately I got a little overzealous when I was retightening it, and it happened...

Do I have any chance of finding a replacement packing nut for this valve?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Does it leak? If not, I'd punt...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Or maybe try some clamps and JB Weld it back together, then tighten with a little less zeal than last time :)
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2016
    You can almost always find an old valve somewhere that has a packing nut that you can take off and use on this valve. Just take the screw out of the center of the knob lift the cracked one off and slide the replacement on. Who knows, a plumbing supply might even stock them??
  • zackwatt
    zackwatt Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2016

Does it leak? If not, I'd punt...

Not that I can tell, but I'm under the impression dry steam leaks are quite difficult to notice.

Plus I'm not sure how many heat cycles may be left in this nut...
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,966
    Safest option would be a new valve. JMHO
    Charlie from wmass
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    For a temp fix on one of these that someone tried to tighten packing that was not there anymore.
    I took the nut off, repacked it with Teflon string, started the nut back on, put a SS clamp on the nut snugly enough to close the crack. Tightened the nut with clamp left in place.
    Been a temp repair for over 5 years now.
    It was on a 100 year old 2" valve that I was hoping to not to have to change.

Your valve looks newer, you might find that brand name and just change the bonnet nut if it matches.
    Charlie from wmass
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    what@JUGHNE said
    Charlie from wmass
  • zackwatt
    zackwatt Member Posts: 81
    Thanks everyone. I actually found the brand on eBay, it's "Ohio Brass". I just bought a similar valve that appeared to have the same packing nut. In the mean time, I'll take the advice of @JUGHNE and throw a SS clip around it. This particular radiator has a box cover on it anyway.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Shame you had to buy a new valve. I probably have a half dozen of those out in my shop.

For future reference: silver solder works great on brass.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24