Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

dead end & DHW expansion tank

Options
Boon
Boon Member Posts: 260
Just read another thread that mentioned dead ends & Legionella. Now I'm freaking out about the 9" of pipe to my DHW expansion tank being a dead end. Is 9" to an DHW expansion tank too far? The inspector noted the tank during the rough-in inspection but didn't say anything else about it.
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Is the expansion tank for your boiler that heats your home?? or is it an expansion tank on the hot water heater that heats domestic hot water for showers etc.??

If it is a boiler expansion tank than a dead end isn't a problem.

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Use two 90 and a tee to make a hairpin curve if you need the 9" for clearance.

Actually, 4 90s
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    9" isn't enough of a dead end situation to be a problem if it's on a well pump water line. Remember that about a third of that tank volume will move in and out with each cycle of the well pump.

You say that this is on your domestic hot water line, though, so I presume that this is not a pump control pressure tank, but on there because there is a pressure reducing valve or check valve between you and city water? Even so, it shouldn't be a problem. In comparison with the amount of hot water used the amount moving in and out of that pipe and tank is tiny.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Guess I'm going blind he did say it was a DHW expansion tank.
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    Options
    because there is a pressure reducing valve or check valve between you and city water?

Yes, I should've said that originally.
    I'll stop worrying but now I see a different way to mount it so maybe I'll move it in the future. Thanks
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Looks like products are being developed to address "dead-ending" of DHW expansion vessels.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEI
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Dam, why didn't I think of that. If I did I could retire!!!!!

Said that 1000times
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Those should work very well. Jacuzzi made a variation on that, years ago. Haven't seen it lately.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England