Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prestige Solo Problems

This is a 5 year old boiler which has been working fine until September when it started having problems. E02 error messages - failure to ignite. We have replaced:

- igniter
- igniter cable
- circuit board

The combustion numbers and gas pressures are all within spec; condensate drain is clear. The exhaust is ten feet long and clear, the air intake is two feet long and clear and the two daylight far away from each other. The inside of the boiler is pristine with no wear or leakage at the heat exchanger. Power to the boiler is good; dedicated circuit with a good ground.

Sometimes the boiler will lock out halfway through a heating cycle and you can't get it to start again; other times it will fire beautifully and you can't get it to lock out no matter how many times you try to fire it.

Has anyone had the same experience that can share a solution? My supplier told me that older Solos had refractories that were too close to the igniter and the spark would short to the refractory. That will be my next task, but the owners are fed up and want a new boiler. I want to find a solution.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    What about the flame sensor? Have you cleaned or replaced it? Have you checked the resistance of the ground wire harness from the flame sensor point to the power supply. Also the integrity of the power supply ground back to the electrical load center?

What is the boiler control reading for current sensing from the flame sensor? Is it a stable reading or does it degrade over time?
    kcopp
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    They had a run of bad ignitors about 5 years ago. The bad ones would turn a rust red color on the tip. They did exactly what you describe.
    The newer ones have look a little different, the shafts have raised marks on them.
    I am wondering if you ended up replacing the old style with another old one.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ednelson
    ednelson Member Posts: 10
    I am in Triangle Tubes tech support department please give me a call 856 228 8881 ext 155 please have a manometer and combustion analyzer with you and I would be glad to help you figure out the problem
    Thank you
    Ed Nelson
    SWEIkcoppZmanrick in Alaska
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Nice to hear from you Ed. Will save your contact info.

Alan, the new ignitors have a shorter porcelain inside the chamber and one electrode is knurled, presumably to give more surface area/traction for spark. Cable is black, instead of red. In case you got NOS. I've have about 3 come in the last 2 yrs.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I just went through this, same exact thing. Replaced igniter, flame sensor, igniter cable, combustion was slightly off the first time (CO was at 125 on LP) leaned it out a little bit to proper specs), venting run was 10' just like yours, concentric termination, proper separation from corners etc....finally found the venturi to be degraded badly from re-circulation of combustion products. Turns out the vent cap on the concentric kit was not seated 100% and allowed a small amount of re-circulation over the course of 4 years it ate the venturi. Worth a check, I've got nothing else for you though...
    Zman
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Alan, check the ground wire where it clips to the ignitor. They have a tendency to burn up right where it connects to the ignitor. I cut back a few inches to good wire and crimp a new spade clip to the wire.

I don't know why they do this but I see it a lot.

- DF
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Funny you say that Dan, I've noticed iffy gripping power by the spade on my calls.
  • Thanks, guys for all your input!
    Harvey Ramer, Zman & Bob Bona: All good suggestions and I will check to verify.
    Delta T: I checked the venturi and it was fine. Kind of like a prostate exam.
    Dan: The grounding clip is very firmly in place. I had a tough time getting it off.
    And Ed: I will call you in the morning!

delta TErin Holohan Haskell
  • delta T

Delta T: I checked the venturi and it was fine. Kind of like a prostate exam.

• delta T
    That just made my day, thanks Alan! :D
  • Harvey Ramer
    Find the problem?
  • Hi Harvey:

Nothing yet. Surprisingly, the boiler has been behaving and I need an unhappy boiler to figure out what's wrong. I'm OK with that because we are busy into the new year.

• Harvey Ramer
    Truth!
  • Returned yesterday ("no heat" call on a Sunday), flushed out the HX, replaced the refractory, gas valve and gas valve cable.

Time will tell.

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Just curious...you said sometimes it will lock out and you cannot get it to start again. Did you mean it won't try at all or it trys and fails?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Just looked at a Prestige Excellence today.... Got there to see it was locked out on E02. Had spark, had fuel... Venturi was rough and cracked. Part arrives in the morning.
  • Ichmb: I press the reset button and it tries to ignite three times and fails.

• So, it's been almost 2 weeks since we cleaned the HX, installed the new HX insulation and changed out the gas valve and we haven't heard from the owner and I think I would have heard from them if the boiler locked out.
    If the problem is fixed, I don't know what took care of it. The HX wasn't that dirty, could have been the insulation although I doubt it, could have been the gas valve.

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Just curious, is this a high or low gas pressure area you live in....What were your readings static and dynamic on your monometer....Used to see it very very frequently in the low gas pressure areas code E02....Pulled out gas valve, the inlet screen would be dirty,a rust colored dust....Came from within the old gas piping in street....Gas company would come in and install a whole house filter, inline with the inside fit....The valves get very sensitive the higher the spool up demand....Sometimes the boiler worked just fine, till, for lack of words put a full load on it...Put it high fire then back down. Repeatedly.....Fan speed issues were not that common....
  • j a_2
    So Alen wondering how it worked out... Hopefully it went well..
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Had the same issue,it was the refractory.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I had issues also and found the refractory was the issue. Seems that the electrode was too close to the refractory and "shorting"out. The cure was a new refractory that is tapered out further to give it a little more clearance. Haven't had an issue since it was replaced.
    Rick
  • Yes, we also installed a new refractory even though the factory said that the PS models weren't effected, only the PA's.

j a: The manometer readings were fine and only dropped ½" when the unit fired. I have the old gas valve and checked the inlet screen; it was clean. Thanks for your input! It all helps.

I checked with the owners and the unit is still working fine. The problems have always happened when they're about to go away on a trip and they are leaving Jan. 1st, so they are biting their nails.

• j a_2
    Well now a wifi t stat is in order...
    You to can monitor it ..

• j a_2
    I am back and forth to the Carolinas now enjoying grandson...And another one coming in January...Thank god they don't look like me... I miss some of the aspects of plumbing and heating but getting used to it....Hay it was a good run..
    ...Watching some of my old high school plumbing and heating students enjoying success in the industry...I visit some of there job sites....We had a fully framed house in our old school...We actually piped up a complete steam boiler and system had it up and running....Also a few mod cons.... The kids really learned...Still remember the day I chased down a classic science teacher for telling my plumbing students that it was a waste of time to take plumbing....Funny thing kids in his science class new nothing about real science....Just how to look at bugs and butterflies..Under the microscope...

kcopp
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    It was a sad day when they took the wrecking ball to the Vo-Tech, very short sighted in my opinion.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge