Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are pipes made different now?

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,491
It seems like some of the new black iron pipes are not made like the old pipes. Perhaps I am getting old and crotchety but it seems that the newer pipes are not made as well as the older ones. We have replaced some leaking nipples on old steam systems with new ones from the big box stores and they do not last nearly as long as the older pipes. I am also noticing they do not thread as well as some of the older pipes. We were threading some pipes and it looked like the threader was actually peeling the pipe rather than threading it. We even bought new teeth and still found the same result. Not sure if you are seeing this or is it just the Pittsburgh pipes doing this. Thanks for your input.
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Make me wonder if there is any testing done on the quality of the steel used in basic steel pipe manufacturing? Especially import stuff
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

It seems like some of the new black iron pipes are not made like the old pipes. Perhaps I am getting old and crotchety but it seems that the newer pipes are not made as well as the older ones. We have replaced some leaking nipples on old steam systems with new ones from the big box stores and they do not last nearly as long as the older pipes. I am also noticing they do not thread as well as some of the older pipes. We were threading some pipes and it looked like the threader was actually peeling the pipe rather than threading it. We even bought new teeth and still found the same result. Not sure if you are seeing this or is it just the Pittsburgh pipes doing this. Thanks for your input.
    Ray

I agree. I've also seen "newish" (~20 year old) galvanized pipes developing leaks where the original (90+ year old) pipes right next to them keep chugging along.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Hot Rod I wonder that myself. It seems like the domestic pipe is different than the imported stuff. Perhaps the salt water affects it on the boat over.
    Abracadabra, exactly what I mean
    Thanks for not thinking I was crazy
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    It's probably not salt water that is causing the problems described. More likely, the quality of the steel used in foreign manufacturing is not as tightly controlled as the steel used for pipe manufacturing here in the US. Shipping pipe 1/2 way around the world is expensive, so they need to cut costs somewhere - namely, the cost of the steel. If the steel manufacturer isn't taking samples for metallurgical analysis during steel production, the steel may not end up with the kind of properties needed to accept being threaded.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I have seen some junk. Went to the supply house and bought a "job Pak" of 1" nipples came in a nice cardboard box. Made in China.

Didn't open the box till I got back to the job...big mistake.

of the 10 or so nipples in the box about 4 were useable... the threads were terrible..un useable.

I have no doubt some of the foreign pipe is NG, who's liable if it blows apart and the stuff is supposed to meet ASTM standards??

Sometimes the cutting oil used can make a difference. I always like the old Hercules black stuff
    Charlie from wmass
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,965
    Options
    Absolutely, can't even get a die on some batches. Mad Dog
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Turkish black pipe is fine. We will not use imported unions only Ward.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    This is why most foreign materials can't be used on aircraft. The cert isnt worth the paper its written on.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. I kept thinking I was losing my touch It does frighten me to think if this could used inside a boiler for either a water or fire tube.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    My father and I used to fight over how terrible the Canadian fight was and how he could never get it to thread well. Turned out the old guy from Long Island that was working for him was dumping crankcase oil used of course into the threading bucket to save having to buy threading oil. I emptied and cleaned the bucket and have only used dark sulfurized lard cutting oil ever since. Dies last longer and the pipe thread better. As for pre cut threads we're definitely taking your life in your own hands with the closed boxes. I learned the hard way to always check them at the counter.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @Charlie from wmass
    Yeah. I learne d the hard way that time. A long time ago I learned to check all the fittings in the box before heading back to the job. Broke my own rule because I was in a hurry.

I agree about the dark oil, my first choice but our shop is buying clear and it seems to be working well I was suprised
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I worked on a job they used vegetable oil...it was disgusting and smelled worse than old, rancid Mc Donalds fryolator. Mad Dog
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    Was it because they were kosher or because they were vegan?

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    SWEI
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Funny you say that...it was a yeshiva! M.D.
    Charlie from wmass
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    I was once working at a Hindu retreat running gas pipe and they were a little bit bothered when they saw my gallon jug of cutting oil I was pouring into the oiler bucket.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    When I can't sleep I sometimes think about joining pipe and tubing. I wonder why shrink fitting isn't used?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    You would have to turn the pipe ends on a lathe to get a precision fit.
  • adamfre
    adamfre Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I did notice a difference between the pipe I used that was from Taiwan, vs pipe made by Ward. The Ward pipe was much heavier in weight compared to the import stuff, and (oddly enough) seemed to thread better. at the start of my project I didn't realize there was that big a difference in pipe, if I had I would paid more attention to the manufacturer.
    Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Yep, no field thread result is guaranteed these days. Nips come thru with ripped threads, etc. Disappointment.