Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron Baseboard

Options
Is there any Cast Iron baseboard radiator made for a single pipe system?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    I honestly don't know. However, baseboards tend to have to be rather long to get much heat out of them -- and thus might not play very well with single pipe steam, where all the condensate has to go back out the same pipe the steam is trying to get in by.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MarkinLowell
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    @Jamie Hall is correct....most of all steam systems that i see with baseboard do not operate well....they spit water hammer etc....Dan states in his book a one pipe steam baseboard needs a lot of pitch and would look pretty weird....there are other ways to pipe baseboard if theres a wet return nearby you can pipe this in a 2 pipe fashion...if no wet return you can create a loop seal a connect to the bottom of the main....these arre pretty far fetched ideas and require alot of labor when a simple radiator or convector can be installed
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    MarkinLowell
  • MarkinLowell
    MarkinLowell Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @MarkinLowell while it is not best practice to put cast iron baseboard on a single-pipe system without installing it as two-pipe, I inherited two 10' sections of baseray. After playing with pitch and finally using the Vent-rite adjustable valves I get them to work relatively quietly. There is no way, that I'm aware of, to stop the sound of the water sloshing since steam and condensate has to travel back to a 3/4 opening.

@Paul S there was a thread a few weeks back that also recommended changing the baseray to convectors. I've read it isn't good to mix conventional radiators with convectors. Also that convectors don't work well with systems that are configured for 1cph. Is that true? Any brand of convector you like? I believe Governale is a popular one out here in NYC. I also believe they make cast iron baseboard too.

Thanks,

Harry