Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Al294C Stainless, at local vendors?

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
I need some heating help, we serviced a Viessmann Vitodens, the original installer ran SS pipe to the chimney and (assuming!) ran it up the flue. The rep says Al294C Stainless is fine. I could call the local vendors to see what SS they have. but was hoping I could get a faster answer to a hypothetical question here. I don't want to call the management co with a possible concern until i have just a wee bit more info.

So, the local vendors (that sell heat fab/ Z flex), do they 'typically' have the Al294?

Thanks Heating Guys
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited November 2016
    AL 294 is a rating of stainless. All those who sell stainless it is AL294. They are not however interchangeable by brands.
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Jensen Mechanical (New Hartford, CT) 1-860-738-2800 sells it and is a factory rep for (I forgot what brand) sizes and designs a lot of stacks for the larger commercial jobs. expensive stuff

I don't believe any of the supply houses handle this stuff
  • GW
    Ok I'm trying to figure out when I should open my mouth on this or keep it shut. At first I thought it might have been a complete mistake. Then I learn a certain type of stainless is ok. I never would have thought someone would use stainless on a condensing boiler when plastic would seemingly do a better job. The local vendor that sells heat fab and z flex, does that qualify or no? I wish I knew then what I know now I would have made notes on the existing SS. If the locally-purchased stainless does not qualify, I may need to open my month.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Ahhhhh didn't read slowly enough, Tim, the heat fab and z flex at the local vendors is AL294?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    That is correct and Al294 is used because its application is for boilers which are mid efficiency and have to high a stack temp for plastic.These boilers are not condensing boilers but are Category III which means they may condense in the flue.
    GW
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    You have to read the certified I & O manual of the boiler to find the acceptable material. Tim, on certain higher BTU boiler the manufacturer specifies AL29-4C. They are cat IV or can be Cat II. They are all above 87%. At one point we were the largest purchaser of Al29-4C. We then went multiple boiler and use S636 PVC ( SCH40 PVC with a different colour!)