Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator shutoff valve size

Options
tgbrew
tgbrew Member Posts: 43
I hope this isn't a really dumb question but I couldn't find the answer in the archives after many searches.

I'm adding a radiator on a one pipe system and picked up a nice old one but it looks like a 1" hole for the valve. I planned on 1.25" supply. Should I reduce somehow to use a 1.25" shutoff valve? Or get a 1" valve and reduce the pipe before the valve?

Or should I consider piping 1" pipe to the radiator? (I would rather not as all other rads in our house are 1.25" and I may want to swap out radiators)

Comments

• New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Size matters, as they say. Bigger is better. Best to remove the 1" bushing from the newly acquired radiator (usually by carefully cutting it out) and replacing with a 1-1/4" bushing. All set.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    If it has a bushing, definitely remove it and use the larger valve. It not only allows you to use a larger valve and supply pipe, but it allows the radiator to drainmore completely. With a concentric bushing in the bottom fitting, you always end up with a puddle in the bottom of the radiator.

I've been doing this with my own radiators. Even if the supply is only 1" or 1¼", I've replaced them with 1¼" or 1½" valves, because the new valves simply aren't as big as they used to be.

This is a new 1¼" valve next to the one that was on my radiator:

Rather than using the smaller valve, I got a 1½" valve and put the bushing from the radiator in the bottom of the valve.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • tgbrew
    tgbrew Member Posts: 43
    Options
    So you think I should throw out this old fancy eccentric bushing and replace with a 1.25"? I'm not sure I can find an eccentric bushing without significant delay but will wait if needed. Otherwise would a regular black iron concentric work? This old one looks like it is going to be fun to get out...

I'm including a pic.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    I've never seen one like that before. Mine have all been concentric. I'd still remove it, if I could get it out intact, and install the larger valve.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24