Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Boiler code

Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
edited October 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
i just recently failed boiler inspection for installing the boiler gas meter in an existing boiler room with 10 existing gas meters .....this was an oil to gas conversion....inspector wants cinder block walls built with approved plans....to seperate boiler room from meter room ...... did this inspector just fail me for no reason? nothing wrong with boiler installation.....i read nyc fuel gas code and it states no meter in hallways stairways etc......so there is no where else to put it....it clearly states a new gas meter can be installed in a existing boiler room with existing gas meters in a cellar....am i reading this incorrectly? if not they want a combustible gas detector interlocked with boiler circuit and 2 visual or audible alarms at both exits.....should i fight this? Boiler is 800kMBH. Thanks Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Wow. I'm obviously not from NYC but did you ask him to cite, specifically, which code you violated?
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,092
    Get chapter and verse, and appeal it if you and he (she) can't agree on what it means...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SWEI
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Interesting. In my area, many hundred miles west of NYC, gas meters are always installed outdoors adjacent to the structure - perhaps to be easily accessible to the fire department. Many years ago our gas meters were often installed in basements, but they were all moved outside long ago.

I keep a crescent wrench handy to shut off the gas at the outside meter, if necessary. With the meter inside, do you have a way to shut off the gas from outdoors?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    edited October 2016
    Paul, you're not going to win that fight. Since the 2nd Avenue explosion EVERYTHING is "at the discretion of the inspector" and he has no obligation to cite code. If something looks potentially dangerous, the Boiler Division Inspections Director has got to side with him, and he does. I'm at the point where I'm VERY selective about the gas jobs I'll take in NYC. In fact, oil-to-gas conversions have become a guaranteed money drain for New York contractors having to deal with the DoB/ConEd roadblock to efficiency.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    jonny88
  • Paul S_3
    edited October 2016
    No @Gilmorrie do not have a way to shut gas off besides gas service valve at street..... thanks for your input @JohnNY ..... we already have architect drawing up approved plans to build a 2 non structural walls....boiler room will be isolated...there will be a boiler room door leading in egress to a small intermediate room then the door to the gas meter room has to open in egress too...thats what the inspector is stating...once i get approved plans...ill get a temp.... i was hoping either you or @gennady would chime in.....thanks again Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    I'm pretty sure the meter room requires a passive fresh air duct from outside, too. It's gotten out of control.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,061
    When I was in school they said if you have an oil problem you may have to remodel with gas you may have to rebuild. LOL

Not that I agree but some of this is getting out of control. Stay out of the Worcester, Ma area. The gas company want pretty much anything welded and can make you rip out anything existing that they don't like.

Talked with the state board and they say the utility can require whatever they want.

guess the gas company is writing the code now
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    If there were already gas meters in the boiler room, why does it become Paul's problem?
    Steve Minnich
  • Paul S_3
    edited October 2016
    It's really not my problem....but i have to make all my customers happy....and do the right thing so i get recommended....i would like to switch customer over to nat gas....and end this headache....customer is ok and i prepared him for the general construction already.....what bothers me is that the inspector was more concerned with doors opening a certain way , cinder block walls up, a wood framed door not even in use for the boiler room and sealing up a 120 year old dumb waiter.....then checking to see if i had all the proper manual reset controls, relief valves, interlocking CO detector there's a living space nearby.....didnt even care about flue gauge (24gauge)....and i had to show him the chimney he didnt even bring it up.....ive passed inspections before in this city like a breeze....now its more about general construction...and loopholes etc etc..... @Stephen Minnich existing gas meters can stay.....just customer has to build a special room for the new meter or in this case customer was already going to build around boiler and seperate the two rooms.....i guess inspectors dont want the liabilities
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    jonny88
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,061
    Like I said code is the minimum installation and you can no longer hang your hat on it. Because of these explosions and existing 1880 gas lines in the street still being used the gas utilities are being held lible and it spills over onto the contractors.
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    you might as well be in Mogadishu but at leat there you could bribe or kill the inspector.dont wast your time trying to make sense or reading what you think might be the code just do what he says and hope it passes you might get him again you might get another with more or different or contrary demands or telling you you neednt have done the changes . just dont piss them off act like you think theyre human
    Paul S_3Hatterasguy