Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2-wire Gravity furnace fires up when wires directly connected, but not with t-stat

sf_mike
sf_mike Member Posts: 2
- I live in San Francisco and have a 1940's gravity furnace, 2-wire setup.
- Any t-stat I connect doesn't consistently fire up the furnace (most recently got a new Honeywell Round)
- However, when I touch the 2 wires directly together to close the circuit it always fires up.
- Have triple-checked the wiring on the t-stats, in fact the first one we inherited when we moved in and the furnaced fired up just fine, then stopped consistently doing so about a year ago.
- Don't know much about furnaces, is there voltage that comes out of the furnace and perhaps is it not strong enough once I connect a t-stat to cause this problem?

Appreciate any expertise and insights!

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    A picture of the gas valve might help. Have you tried a plain old heating-only snap stat (this or something like it)? The Honeywell Round is IIRC a power-stealing stat (no batteries, no common wire) & may have trouble with the millivolt systems common in those furnaces.
    sf_mike
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Do you have a 120 volt supply to your furnace?
    You may not and that's fine.
    You may what is called a powerpile system, if so the pilot flame produces enough electrical power to run the gas valve.
    That power generated is fairly weak and requires very good electrical connections.
    A power pile thermostat is a special animal.

The first one may have lost its ability to close its switch and provide a good connection, which tying the wires together will provide.

Picture of the gas valve would help.
    sf_mike
  • sf_mike
    sf_mike Member Posts: 2
    Advice from @ratio solved it -- thanks!
    Installed an all mechanical heat-only Honeywell t-stat designed for millivolt systems, problem solved. Appreciate the help, kids and wife are happy campers now!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Glad everyone's happy'd up!