Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain Ultra

I have the same issue with my 7 year old 155 Ultra, E-02 code, 5 attempts then shut down.
I can burp/choke it to make it lite and it is fine until the next cycle.
The Tech at Weil McLain told me to back off the gas screw 1 to 2 turns (laying down and looking up at it) but has not helped. I have had 4 different heating guys look at it.
I cleaned the burner chamber with the special tool, changed the gasket, spark plug and cleaned the burner (can). Emptied the condensation trap.
I'm ready to blow it up myself.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Did anyone use a combustion analyzer to set up the burner?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • mallardlake
    mallardlake Member Posts: 5
    I don't think they did.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Natural or LP gas? At this point you have to go back to the beginning. Start off checking pressures w/ a digital monometer before and after the gas valve.
    Ironman
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Last year I had a 10 year old ultra with random e2 failures. I found that the gas line was undersized. 55 ft of 1/2" flexpipe plus a bunch of 1" black pipe, on an 80. Owner said that once or twice a year he'd had the e2 code, but could just reset it. It got bad last year and I found the subdivision had lost pressure from 12" to 8". So now the undersized piping really showed. Had plumber change to 3/4 (very snaky run) and that took care of it. 1 month later I noticed the gas company digging in the subdivision!
  • mallardlake
    The problem started in mar 2016 after I ran it low on propane. When they filled the 1000gal tank they said it had no pressure.
    They leaked tested it, found leaks to the building, replaced 100' of copper, checked inside and suggested replacing the copper inside also. I had that done with 20' of new 1/2" copper which they then tested. The unit also heats the hot water, so all summer I would randomly get the code, but it would usually fire after resetting.
    Now I have to burp/choke it every time.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited October 2016
    Too much or too little gas pressure can cause the unit not to fire. I would have someone come out to test the gas pressure going to the unit and do a combustion test to the propane specs. Also wouldn't be the first time I've seen unit that was installed with out a propane conversion kit either.
    kcopp
  • colek87
    colek87 Member Posts: 8
    My problem is similar. When calling for heat, it will sometimes light and work properly. But usually only one cycle. Then the E 02 error displays. I press the reset button for 2 seconds and then it will fire again, run, get to temp on thermostat, and through E 02 error. Press reset, etc...

Any advise is appreciated.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Age of unit? When was it last cleaned... meaning torn down and igniter replaced.
  • mallardlake
    I think mine is fixed now. I took your advice and had the combustion test done. They adjusted gas pressure, checked to make sure the inside had been cleaned thoroughly, replaced the gas line to a size higher (from 1/2 to 5/8) and also replaced the old style dual unit outside (intake and exhaust) to a 2 pipe setup to avoid the intake sucking in exhaust gases.
    It has been functioning fine for a few weeks now.
    Thanks for the help!
    kcoppnjtommy
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited December 2016
    weil mclain ultra on lp gas likes 3/4 black iron pipe or you will run into supply issues in the extreme cold...imho...
    kcoppscottnjr
  • mallardlake
    On mine they used a stainless flexible line with a black rubber coating and sized according to what the Ultra 155 needed ( I might have been wrong on thinking it was 5/8", it is about 1" on the OD.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Weil tech support is telling a homeowner to adjust gas pressure without a manometer?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    scottnjr
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    without a manometer or analyzer...I've heard this before..sadly