Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heat Radiator Questions

We've been in our 1937 house about a year. We have steam heat, and I am looking for more basic info about our system as I embark and potentially fixing a shot air vent on one of the radiators (which lets out steam the entire time the heat is on and makes the room a sauna with condensation dripping down the walls...). I have attached pictures.

1. Is this a one pipe or two pipe system?
2. Is this a convection or regular steam radiator? Does this impact what type of air vent I can get?
3. Is there any better way to get inside the cast iron radiator frame to replace the air vent other than taking out one of the brackets on the side and reaching my hand inside? (as the pics show, the vent is behind the cast iron radiator/frame)
4. There is a (painted over) screw above the bracket that comes out of the frame to provide access to the air vent; what is the purpose of that screw? It does not appear related to the removal of the bracket, which comes out when a lever behind the bracket is squeezed.
5. As pictured, one of our radiators in a different room has a Gorton air vent on the outside of the radiator; how is this done and can I somehow change the other ones to be the same? Much easier to access this one.

(sorry the pictures are all mixed up - I can't figure out how to rearrange them)

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Looks like a Weil McLAIN radiator.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,307
    Those are Weil Mclain radiators
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • heatinghelp819
    heatinghelp819 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks! Any chance you know the answers to the questions above?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    It's steam.
    Probably not vapor.

How many pipes does the radiator have? 1, or 2?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited October 2016
    @heatinghelp819 :
    1. If it's one pipe, there is only the supply pipe (with the valve) going into the one end of the radiator. That pipe handles both the steam supply and also is where condensate drains back to the boiler. The radiator must be pitched towards that pipe to facilitate drainage. If it's a Two pipe, there will be a pipe on each end of the radiator. One to supply steam, the other to allow condensate to drain back to the boiler. In the case of a two pipe, the radiator will need to be pitched towards the drain pipe. If a two pipe, the drain side will likely have a trap on the pipe that prevents steam from entering but still allow condensate to drain. Most two pipe systems don't have vents, they have drains, that also allow air to be pushed out through the return pipe but there are some vented two pipe systems.
    2. It looks like a Weil McLain Radiator, as has been said. Typically you can use any radiator vent on the market. Clearly some are better than others. Some are just junk. They come in a couple flavors; straight or 90 degree so that the vent is vertical when mounted. They vent the same. They also come in a fixed vent rate or adjustable venting, either with multiple orifices or a dial that opens/closes the orifice so that you can adjust the venting rate. I use the Hoffman 1A's which are adjustable, reliable and good quality. Others prefer different brands.
    3. You can add extension pipe, preferable brass 1/8" pipe and fittings to screw into the tapping on the radiator where the vent is currently mounted. That will allow you to raise the vent above the radiator or around the radiator to an end that makes replacement easier. Just make sure you keep the vent itself vertical.
    4. It is possible that radiator was designed for use with either steam or hot water heat. That screw may have been a location where a bleeder valve would have been installed in a hot water application.
    5. With misc pipe and fittings, as mentioned in point 3, you can relocate the vent to the location of that screw, if you so desire. If it were me, I'd just add enough extension pipe to raise the vent above the radiator but keep it inside the cabinet, for a much cleaner look and much less piping/cost
    Hope that answers most of your questions.
    New England SteamWorks