Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What radiator air valves do you recommend?

Options
adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
On my 2 pipe, no trap, air vent system, I've got side mounted air vents on the radiators. Some of them will probably wind up being bad. (They are ancient) What brand / type does everyone out there recommend?
Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    A lot of people like the Gorton air vents, I settled on the Maid O mist because they sell a kit that comes with 5 different sized orifices so you can tune the system. This is cheaper then guessing what size Gorton to put on each radiator.

https://www.amazon.com/OMIST-0220-5L-Angle-Steam-Valve/dp/B003DV3AGE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476271894&sr=8-2&keywords=maid+o+mist+air+vent&th=1

Your main air vent should be looked at as well, they are often too small and that just drives up the fuel use.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    I'm a Gorton man my self.

Until @Sailah starts making radiator vents, anyway.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    BrianT1077
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have adjustable Vent-Rite # 1's on all 11 of my radiators and have no problems with them. I do have 4 Gorton # 1's on an antler on my large main and 1 Gorton # 1 on my small main. I am getting ready to dump them, they are replacements on the antler and still spitting steam. I recently had @Dave0176 over my house evaluating my steam system and he was talking to me about Barnes & Jones main vents. I might consider them. Here is a link to the Vent-Rites, I got them from this site, and not a bad price.

http://www.hvacrsupplynow.com/VENT-RITE-1-STEAM-AIR-VALVES-ADJUSTABLE_p_1787.html
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Lol, I'll start making them when politicians are honest.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Solid_Fuel_ManBrianT1077
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Sailah said:

ChrisJ said:

That's not the answer we wanted. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

Sailah said:

ChrisJ said:

That's not the answer we wanted. ;)
    Well, it's just that vents like those are made so cheap it's a losing battle to make them.

We make our compact trap as a vent for commercial steam cooking equipment and those are seriously rugged. But they are also a fair bit larger than a radiator vent. And a lot more expensive. But it would work and work really well. I'd venture a guess that it would shave a lot of time off getting steam to the radiators. For size, it's the same as our Vari Vent, but without the screw cap.

We only make thermostatic elements, not bimetallic and it's hard to package those in a slender air vent.
    VV.jpg 317.4K
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 661
    Options
    I can supply Tunstall 1P adjustable vents if anyone is interested.

These are nice because you don't need to change orifices, just
    turn the dial to change the venting rate.

Send PM for more info.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The Hoffman 1A is also dial adjustable. I've used them for 25+ years and had good luck with them
  • adamfre
    adamfre Member Posts: 122
    Options
    looks like what I've got now is Burnham No. 1 adjustable vents... I'm assuming they may be kinda old :).
    Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
    RomanGK_26986764589