Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System Flush?

Options
Hi All,

We had our first really cold day today so I was thinking I would need to use my steam heating system soon but I wanted to check on something first.

I was wondering if I should flush out the water that is in the system before I start it up for the first time this year. The reason I ask is that I can see it is really dirty in the water level glass and aside from adding water when it is needed, I have never replaced it in 2 and a half year (not to mention probably another 4-5 prior while the house was in foreclosure and then while being rehabbed). I have seen responses with different opinions about what to do at the end of the heating season like removing half the water etc. but nothing about replacing all of the water.

I have read Dan's book and I remember something about it being important not to change the water often but I was thinking maybe it would make sense once a year. I do have an appointment for someone to come out and clean the water level sensors and check the system but I will probably want to run the system before that.

Thanks,
Red

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,364
    Options
    Sort of a standard answer -- ask five folks here on the Wall and you will get ten answers.

As for me, I Haven't drained the water since the boiler was installed, a number of years ago. I do drain the float type LWCO now and then when it crosses my mind.

Your mileage may vary...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England