Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Back Flow Preventer ?

Danscrew
Danscrew Member Posts: 130
A watts 3/4 back flow preventer is leaking water out of the discharge port every once in a while. When the system ( radiant loop) is on ( Last years problem ) is it the Back flow or the Expansion Tank? Thanks Dan

Comments

• MikeSpeed6030
    MikeSpeed6030 Member Posts: 69
    Is the relief valve dripping? What is the boiler pressure?

I would just replace the backflow preventer. I think Watts makes a rebuild kit, but I believe that the price of the kit is close to the price of a replacement.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    What type of water pressure on the inlet? On city water or a well? Do you know if the main water has a back flow device, maybe at the meter, if you are on city water.

Does the home ever experience water hammer, maybe when a wash machine shuts off the fill cycle, or a lawn sprinkler solenoid, a faucet turned off quickly.

What can happen when flow is stopped quickly a shock wave develops and may cause a high pressure condition, followed by low. Sometimes referred to a elastic shock.

If the low side pressure drops enough the back flow will quickly open the first check and cause a spit. If this happens over and over eventually the seal is compromised and the drip all the time.

A water hammer arrester can prevent it, or a thermal expansion tank connected at the water heater can act as an absorber for that shock.

When we get calls where the BFD has been replaced numerous times, different brands used and the same problem returns, something in the system is causing the valves to fail. It is rare to have 3 or 4 different brands with defective checks.

If the BFD drips immediately after being installed and turned on, a piece of crud is stuck inside the main passage seal. They can be disassembled and cleaned, usually they get replaced and condemned as a faulty valve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEI
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Perhaps the best solution is a valve on each side of the BFP which are both shut off until you need fill. However a LWCO is highly recommended with that situation .
  • cableman
    cableman Member Posts: 69
    I had a leaking bfp and my plumber bud said they install one with out the part that drips, is this wrong to do?
    This is on mine now
  • Danscrew
    Danscrew Member Posts: 130
    Thanks to all
    I'm going to have him watch the BFP when the washing machine goes thru a cycle to see if it spits when the water shuts off
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,786
    cableman said:

I had a leaking bfp and my plumber bud said they install one with out the part that drips, is this wrong to do?

This is on mine now

cableman said:

This is on mine now

More of a dual check than a BFD in my opinion. From what I hear it does passcode in some areas, when used on a boiler feed valve.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEIdelta T
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,092
    hot rod said:

cableman said:

This is on mine now

More of a dual check than a BFD in my opinion. From what I hear it does passcode in some areas, when used on a boiler feed valve.
    While it at may pass code in some areas such a device is not a backflow preventer. If what is needed or required is a backflow preventer, it won't do.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delta T