Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I DIY this radiator downsizing?

Options
Hi. I have a rather large steam rad by our front door that we have turned off completely the last few years. With a new baby on the way, I'd like to downsize the radiator to get a a tiny bit of heat - but reclaim the space back that this radiator is occupying (and this new smaller rad one would let us built a bench over it for putting shoes on for instance).

I have the new cast iron radiator, and the right bushings for 3 of its' sides. The connection to the existing valve is where I'm unsure if I can get the part needed. The new smaller radiator has ID 3/4" threads, and the existing radiator valve is ID 1 1/2". Is it possible to reduce the 1 1/2" to 3/4" without replacing the entire valve? If so, can someone point me to the right part. If that is viable I would then pickup a spund tool to reclaim the union from the old radiator - but if this is impossible, no point going through those steps if I will need to get my plumber to install a new valve altogether. Here are a few pics in case it is helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    A new radiator valve is pretty cheap and they would come with a new union nut and tailpiece which is what is attached to the larger radiator.

I have tailpieces but it would be a guessing game to see what fit. A tailpiece often has a matching flare to mate with the valve and they are all a little different. Based on the size of the valve that looks like a big union nut and that is harder to find. Most of mine for radiator traps are considerably smaller. If you can get me a measurement of the ID of the valve and the OD of the tailpiece I'll see what I can find Monday

I would just replace the valve assuming you can get a wrench on the pipe. What's the pipe size?
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    Cast iron baseboard is not designed for use in a 1-pipe steam system, or is this 2-pipe? This isn't to say it isn't commonly used in 1-pipe steam systems, however, it's not ideal. This is due to its 3/4" tappings. Minimum tapping size should be 1". If cast iron baseboard is the only option, I suggested installing a Vaporstat to lower your pressure in the ounces range and using a radiator elbow, not a hand valve. This will maximize the ability of the condensate to exit the radiator. As I write this, I guess the quicker answer would be no, this is not a diy project. Where are you located?
  • lateralex
    lateralex Member Posts: 7
    Options
    A few answers - here is the view of the current valve. It looks like 1 1/4" steam pipe below it based on the marking and I do think I could easily wrench it off. If I wanted a not-so-elegant solution, could I remove the current valve, attach a reducer (like the one in the screenshot below), and then buy a new 3/4" valve to attach to that? I think the trade-off is the new radiator would now be a few inches higher and need some built up wooden platform - which we could probably live with.

Danny to your question I'm in the Boston area. I have a text out to my general plumber but not sure if steam heat is his bally-wick.

• Danny Scully
    Options
    You'd have to put that reduced on the vertical, so you'd be even higher at that point. You might want to reverse your idea though. Leave the 1-1/4 valve and put the reduced on the 1-1/4 radiator spud and pipe back to the radiator.
  • lateralex
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I follow you, good idea. So go something like:
    New rad > 3/4" nipple > 3/4" to 1 1/4 bushing > 1/14 spud.
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Yes, a coupling though, not a bushing,
  • lateralex
    Options
    And... it's done. We have heat. The little sucker puts out more than we would probably need. Appreciate the help!
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    The vent should be on the upper tapping, or even branched off the center of a connection between both tappings. It's likely to spit water were it's currently located. You made quick work of things though! Nice.
    Ironmandelta T