Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler gasket and nipple issue

Options
rmmaier
rmmaier Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Strictly Steam
2 questions:
1. Can you patch leaking flue rope gaskets with furnace cement?

2. Is there a plug made to repair a 3" nipple at the bottom of a steam boiler that is rotted out and can not be removed. I tried to remove it and the nipple twisted off and broke. I cut it clean and was wondering if I could use something similar to a plumbing test plug that may be rated for this type of repair. If I foul the threads trying to get the nipple out then I will end up having to replace the end section. This boiler is approx. 30 inches wide 4 ft tall and 5 ft long for reference with a power burner.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Pictures would help with this. That being said the nipple or remnants of the nipple need to be removed. If you are careful you can make a cut parallel with the pipe then use a cold chisel to "peel" out what remains. You have to be extremely careful not to cut into the threads. There isn't a plug made to repair this...safely.

edit: If you aren't comfortable with any of that, then it's time to call a pro.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    delta T
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    As rotted as that nipple looks, I would think it should be relatively easy to make just a couple shallow cuts on the inside of that pipe, the full length of the remaining nipple (front to back) and tap that wedge out. The remaining pipe will come out easily, once you do that. What shape is that end section of the boiler in?