Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asking for quick help...pex clamping options

warno
warno Member Posts: 229
edited September 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Is there any other way to attach pex crimp fittings to the tubing other then the crimp rings or the clamps? I didn't plan well on 2 of my fittings and now I can't get my crimp tool into the area to crimp the ring. I can't open the handles enough to get around the pex. So I'm wondering if there's any other way to pull the pex tight enough to its barb to seal it up?

I have a band clamp tool available to me that we use on our air lines at work. Would that work? I have the room to use it. It uses the attached picture band and holder.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Use chinch rings if you can't get the crush ring tool in the space.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You don't wanna use anything other than an approved method. Too little squeeze and it leaks; too much squeeze and it leaks.

There are pinch type clamps available, but I don't recommend using them on hydronic lines; I'm seen them break on more than one occasion.

The big box store has a crimping block the you pinch with vise grips for about $30. Never tried it, but it should work.

There are also two expansion methods for type A pex, but the tools are mucho dinero.

Do you have an angled or straight crimp tool?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • warno
    I'll have to look around the Internet for something similar. My line is 1". I was hoping to get away with the band clamp idea but was leery of it. I have another idea which requires welding but that will make the threaded portion of this area impossible to tighten if it leaks.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check into those other tools. If I can't get it, I'll weld it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    In the same pinch one day I cut one handle off the crimp tool. Put the tool on the ring and used a vise grip as a handle. I converted that tool to a removable handle version, still have it 20 years later.

Here is another

1" version with steel handles.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Some supply houses, such as Fergusons, rent ProPress tools. They should have a 1" pex head to go on the ProPress.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    delta T
  • warno
    I think I have another route I can go. I didn't think of it until this morning while looking at it again. I can add in a threaded coupling and use a 12" long pipe nipple to extend out where I can weld onto my other part. That way I can still break it down if need be.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'll keep them in mind if I ever run into this again.