Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Location of boiler riser versus controls

Options
The Weil Mclain instructions for the EGH and LGB have me really confused. They require the steam supply riser to be located on the same side as the controls. This would place the low water cut off at the highest water level area of the boiler ( just below the supply tapping). This would leave the other end of the boiler much more likely to experience low water without the control shutting it off.

Am I missing something here or are they just putting priority on the boiler not overfilling?

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,968
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are spot on. Doesn't make sense. Better to flood the boiler then expose boiler to dry firing. Non of this is relevant if boiler is even close to properly piped
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Doesn't make sense to me either, but if I had to guess, it stems from a lawsuit somewhere.

At any rate, I always pipe both risers and use the return side that best suits my design without consequence.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    O

Doesn't make sense to me either, but if I had to guess, it stems from a lawsuit somewhere.

At any rate, I always pipe both risers and use the return side that best suits my design without consequence.

And controls end up where? On the return side?