Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a small zone of baseboard off of monoflo loop

Hi,

Looking for some piping ideas on how to best add a small zone(12')of baseboard off of existing monoflo loop?
Customer expanded living space and I need to add heat. Trying to keep it on same zone as adjacent room which is 1" monoflo loop with 1/2" tees to existing baseboard & toekick.

Existing monoflo loop is not accessible to cut in to. Only access is at boiler.

Wondering what options I have?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Just pipe it direct return with a separate circulator.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • bradcobill
    bradcobill Member Posts: 6
    Ironman, I want the new zone to heat when existing zone calls. The boiler is currently set up with zone valves. Can I tee off of monoflo loop of zone that I want to tie into at boiler and tie return into return of monoflo at boiler? Basically splitting zone at boiler? Will that work? Or do I need to run completely separate zone with its own zone valve? If that's the case, can I have both zone valves wired together to open with call of same thermostat? Thanks
  • Ironman
    I'd need to know what size circ you have as well as the piping details.
    Bob Boan
  • bradcobill
    I'm not certain on the pump, but believe it's a taco 007. 5 zones. Pump and zone valves are on supply. The monoflo zone I want to tie into is 1" black pipe with 1"X1/2" tees. Does that help?
  • Ironman
    edited September 2016
    I wouldn't just Tee into the existing loop; you may not get enough flow through it since water takes the path of least resistance and the new loop would certainly be that path.

In all honesty, a 007 on a monoflo with 5 zones doesn't sound sufficient.

Are all the zones monoflo?
    Bob Boan
  • bradcobill
    I believe only 2 of the 5 are monoflo. So are you saying I should run it as its own zone with its own zone valve? Can I have the zone valves wired together so both zones open together?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    I don't have much diverter tee experience, could a TRV be added to the new zone to adjust and regulate? Have you ever tried TRV and mono flows, Bob?

Of course pressure drop needs to be addressed.

Here are some details from Idronics 19. Hydronic Distribution Systems it is the subject of next weeks webinar.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    edited September 2016

I believe only 2 of the 5 are monoflo. So are you saying I should run it as its own zone with its own zone valve? Can I have the zone valves wired together so both zones open together?

@bradcobill,
    2 out of 5 would concern me that the monoflo zones would not get sufficient flow when the others were opening. At least in theory. A lot would depend upon the actual piping on site.

You can tie the valves together, but again, that may cause the monoflo loop to be starved for flow. Think like water: what's the path of least resistance?

Ideally, the monoflo loops should be on a separate circ from the others.

Check the system resource link above for articles on Monoflo system piping.

@hotrod,
    I've never tried integrating a loop or emitter with a TRV onto a monoflo, but it's certainly worth considering. I'll have to read the article.

Bob Boan
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Add new Tees, and run it off the existing loop. Monoflow can be tricky trying to piggy back zones off of one. If they want a separate zone, run separate piping and thermostat
    IronmanSWEI