Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An infrared look at various radiant installation methods

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
I posted this a number of years back, the pics may have rolled off the site. I had a request yesterday for these. Credit to the RPA for helping with the study $$. Credit the RPA if you use the pics, thanks.
I rented a Flir camera with professional operator from Springfield Utilities. They use this camera to find transformer and connection hot spots on their overhead lines. At the time it was a $7000.00 camera, probably get the same or better resolution for 2500 now :)

I built these 4X8 demo boards, same SWT, same flow rate and same length tube, shop was about 65F at time of testing. 6" fiberglass batts below the bays.

The closest on the overview is Warmboard 12" OC, the rest are 8" OC.
ThermoFin™ wide, heavy gauge model.
Next in line is copper tube in TF
Wirsbo (now Uponor) in TF
Onix staple up
Suspended Wirsbo
Interesting details:
I had to pull the copper out of the TF to crimp the pex onto the copper, on the supply and return ends. Just pulling the tube out of the TF groove 1/8" shows a transfer difference. The fit of the tube, completely into the TF makes a difference.
Warmboard had a few grooves router into it from a previous demo, cutting the aluminum has an noticable transfer effect.
The Onix staple up shows where the tube does not touch the Advantec tightly. It was stapled every 6" as per installation and the staples were confirmed to be in contact. Notice the best transfer is around, and the staple itself.

1/2 of the sheet was covered with berber carpet, no pad below.
Also an example of the UltraFin™ product at work on bare, suspended Wirsbo pex

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
GordyTinman

Comments

• warno
    warno Member Posts: 229
    Options
    That's quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Very nice.
    You don't happen to have any that shows the various depths of tubing in a sand bed under pavers do you?
    I have been fighting an uphill battle on that lately.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    This archived article shows how output is effected with tube at the bottom of a slab for some idea. Quite an output hit.

Modeling through sand is not so easy as the moisture content makes a difference in transfer. Also how well the pavers contact the sand bed. I imagine a FEA could be done for dry and wet sand, for comparison.

I'll think on that today and see if I have anything on sand bed performance.

http://www.pmmag.com/articles/87540-depth-perception
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I remember this post from long ago. Should be a reference for people deciding RF details.