Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New from the makers of the 250 MPG carburetor!

From the weekly HH newsletter:

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2016/aug/energy-efficient-water-heater.cfm

Am I missing something here with their claims of more than 100% efficiency?--NBC
Rich_49

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122

From the weekly HH newsletter:

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2016/aug/energy-efficient-water-heater.cfm

Am I missing something here with their claims of more than 100% efficiency?--NBC

Think of how a heat pump behaves.
    Problem is, how are they going to pull off such high combustion efficiency?

Also, will these results only be achieved in a laboratory like most things and then drop off greatly in the real world?

Then there's the classic "It'll save you $30 in natural gas throughout it's life but it costs $500 more to buy".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • I can't see how efficiency can be more than 100%-NBC
  • ChrisJ

I can't see how efficiency can be more than 100%-NBC

A heat pump is considered more than 100% efficient because it produces more heat than a purely restive heater would with the same input.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    ChrisJ said:

A heat pump is considered more than 100% efficient because it produces more heat than a purely restive heater would with the same input.
    I see what you're saying @ChrisJ but the truth is you can't create energy from nothing. I think @nicholas bonham-carter is trying to say that the efficiency number given doesn't make sense though. If that was the case we'd all have perpetual motion machines. They need to compare apples to apples and not heat pumps to resistive heaters.
  • ChrisJ

ChrisJ said:

I see what you're saying @ChrisJ but the truth is you can't create energy from nothing. I think @nicholas bonham-carter is trying to say that the efficiency number given doesn't make sense though. If that was the case we'd all have perpetual motion machines. They need to compare apples to apples and not heat pumps to resistive heaters.
    Oh, I know that.
    Just explaining how they came up with it.

I suspect somewhere in there is an explanation of a 6HP shop vac that consumes 1HP worth of power.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    edited September 2016
    My table saw has a 1.5HP motor on it, it has to weigh at least 40 pounds.

Those 6Hp rated vacs will create 6HP of smoke if you try and use them for too long a stretch.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Perpetual motion is a solved problem.

delta TSWEI
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    I did read somewhere that that magic 6 HP rating comes from the energy used by that motor just before it burns up/smoke release. We all know you would never carry a real 6 HP motor around on top of a plastic shop vac cleaner. A real 1 HP motor could break your foot if dropped. It is all in how you crunch the numbers, cook the books etc.
    Any heat pump can achieve more than 100% efficiency.....but it is milking energy from the air or liquid media that is the "cow".
    The cow will eventually get thinner or leaner......depends if it is in your basement or outside your house. If outside, it does get fed with solar gain to air or ground water.
    Many years ago there was a contractor who advertised "Solar heating installation" when I inquired about this he said he installed air-air heat pumps......well it was really a fact wasn't it?
    (I don't think those Carter energy credits of the 1970's would apply to those installations though.)
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    There's nothing being created out of nothing in a heat pump. In classical terms, it's really just a well-placed lever.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    ratio said:

Perpetual motion is a solved problem.

lol @ratio I had to look at that a couple of times to figure it out... good one!