Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Repipe

Options
2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Yes but hat still owes me $100 for betting my wife wouldn't allow me to paint all of the radiators flat black.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    I think the point has been lost in this post. I'm not saying upsizing is "BS", nor am I asking for praise. The "no love" comment was meant to be comical. I love searching the wall at the end of the day for install pics, so I was excited to post mine at the end of a long day. I repiped the existing piping to meet manufacturers specifications (and beyond), as is what I proposed for this particular project. The boiler is now piped and working correctly. There are still improvements to be made, and they will be made. Here's a 3" header on and IN6 I installed, just for you @Hatterasguy
    ChrisJPaul S_3Robert O'Brien
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Really nice tall risers out of that boiler too! Very nice
    Paul S_3
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Ah,
    Must be nice to have so much money you can just turn down work all the time eh?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Where Is your business located @Hatterasguy?
    Robert O'Brien
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Doubling the pipe size is poor workmanship according to Starbucks books on steam heating. I will post the page tonight on this thread.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Doubling the pipe size is poor workmanship according to Starbucks books on steam heating. I will post the page tonight on this thread.

Let JoeS and Dave and Ezzy know. I'm sure they will be very interested.

BTW, "doubling" is the based upon the volume, not the diameter. But, you already knew that.
    Based on a 3" having a surface area of 7 inches and a 2" having the surface area of 3.14 inches, I'm betting he did know that.

A 3" is double the volume of a 2".
  • Danny Scully
    Options
    Where are you located @Hatterasguy ?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    I am not sure. He may be saying 4" instead of 2".

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    SWEI said:

I need to teach you guys about the trombone header.

I suppose that might make this a French Horn Header.
    That's a church organ header!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options

Let JoeS and Dave and Ezzy know. I'm sure they will be very interested.

BTW, "doubling" is the based upon the volume, not the diameter. But, you already knew that.

See Page 19 for pipe volume
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited September 2016
    Options

. @Danny Scully does great work.......ive done a 2 inch header a few times...in a pinch customer had limited cash....home was 30F during last years 0F couple of weeks....this was a Williamson GSA 075.... i wouldve done it i 3 " inch , but with the cash shortage and time constraint....i decided to pipe in 2" inch ....i bushed down at boiler tappings....i dont know the FPS on this ....anyone have a chart for FPS of steam? i have a GSA 100 with 3 inch and no drop header.... and i have another GSA 075 piped regular with proper swing joints and all ....really quick one afternoon.......
    no one ever mentions my name @Paul S when it comes to steam....lol ....i try my best for you guys....when i do a steamer ....seriously.....ill keep posting....Paul S

ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Paul S. The gsa 75 Will give you 19.22 fps @ 1 psi when piped with a single 2" boiler riser and 2" header.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    @Hatterasguy - That kind of approach works great on a 16 penny nail. Not so much with people. Ask me how I know that.
    Steve Minnich
  • Charlie from wmass
    Options
    Very nice Trombone @Paul S

cell # 413-841-6726
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Paul S said:

i dont know the FPS on this ....anyone have a chart for FPS of steam?

Depends on the pressure. I find this helpful (they also have a mobile app.)

Try looking at different pressures (even negative ones) and see how it affects velocity.
    b_bzPaul S_3New England SteamWorks