Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sq Ft EDR symbol?

Options
lza
lza Member Posts: 40

I'm looking over some construction drawings from the 50's, and there is a symbol that I'm not familiar with listed with info on the cast iron radiators. Is this sq ft EDR? In this example, it is the symbol after 185.0.

Thanks.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Yes, that is the classic square foot symbol.
    kcoppTinman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The first and only time I have seen that symbol was on 1950's schoolhouse plans. (Not many recent prints incorporate any steam at all) I was guessing awhile, but it all added up to the right math.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    It's in the architectural drafting textbook from a class I took in 1987.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    Takes me back to when I taught draughting... with pencils... on real paper. Somewhere around the time of the dinosaurs?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    You guys are all old as dirt. lol
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Many decades ago the company I worked for had a contract to build very expensive power supplies for the electronics on EC123 ASW planes. These supplies were designed by a defunct company down on LI and we were to build them per the print.

The document package was a disaster but by taking the prints and comparing them to one of the prototypes we figured it out. After building 20 of these supplies for 250k (in 1972 dollars) the navy gave us another 50k for ink on vellum drawings.

We made out well producing the power supplies but there were a lot of late night work getting them through all the tests. The drawing contract was a killer, anybody what has done ink on vellum knows what I'm talking about. We got it done but didn't make a dime on it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I really enjoyed reviewing the 1955 school blueprint I have. Had I not searched the location of it personally it would have been lost forever.

The page that showed the EDR included the piping sized, connected EDR, description of the radiation, the piping tunnel, its footings, footings/foundation for the building, DWV and roof drains in that tunnel. A lot of stuff on one page. Printing the blues were a costly event. Everything was well thought out before the final print.

Today pages upon pages are churned out so easily and often not correct.
    Cad drafting can draw anything, but you may not be able to physically construct it.

My son has Cad system, it is his business, he (or his program actually) drew prints for our patio walls. The cad program specified cutting concrete blocks at 38.57 degree angles (or whatever) The GC and I both looked at that and smiled. He just cut to fit.....hard to get 2 decimal places with a thick carpenter pencil.
    The point is that if one had to actually draw some exact angle like that you would realize how nearly impossible it would to create that in the field on a masonry block.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Yes, dirt is old, but still around and supporting a lot of people. :)
    Canucker
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Excellent come-back Jughne!
    I'm going to use that if you mind. Can't be any worse than a tune robber. Lol
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Nice that they even have that symbol on Apple computers.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    The blue pages had a parallelogram with the vertical slash angled to follow the verticals. The point was to the right as the picture above. Not a square but that would be close. Maybe a left handed draftsman would angle the slash in the opposite direction.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    edited August 2016
    Options

You guys are all old as dirt. lol

I love my black and white TV with the rabbit ears on top. Bet you've never seen one of those...............
    Ha. I remember watching the televised movie of the coronation of HM the Queen! A friend of our family down the street had a little DuMont set (that is, the screen was little. The set was anything but). The only one in the neighbourhood!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Our first TV was a used 12" TeleTone, round screen. The channel selector knob was missing so we kept an old pair of linesman pliers on top of the set to change channels. That wasn't too bad because there were only 2 channels ( 4 and 7) until Channel 5 came on the air the next year.

I used to watch Hopalong Cassidy and then the 1/2 hour version of Gunsmoke on that set.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Makes me feel like fresh soil. :)
    Hatterasguy
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Remember when the whole point of cable was to not have commercials.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

SWEICanucker