Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 2218 tight fit..

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
Need to know how many diameters of straight pipe are required (minimum) on the inlet & discharge side of the pump...I see nothing in regards to this with paperwork that comes with the pump.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    12" is recommended but not required on the inlet. If it were a large commercial pump, it would be a different story. Ya do what ya gotta do sometimes.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Gordy
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709
    you can practice the same installation recommendation used with commercial installations; 10 pipe diameters up, and 5 down. That should minimize turbulence at pump which could cause inefficiency in performance. Please contact me directly if you have additional questions.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,785
    As Bob mentioned above, what you should do and what actually gets installed and works, often differ.

A classic example is the internal check valves that pump manufacturers install or include. Those also should be a fair distance from the discharge, as per accepted piping practices, yet they get installed directly in the volute. I've not seen or heard of problems.

Or the pre-packaged GEO modules with two to four circs, often high head models, bolted flange to flange, yikes! Talk about a conflict of turbulence :wink: )

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • john p_2
    Wow, 10 diameters (12"1/2") yikes! That's tough in my install.....but thanks , good info.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    John is doing a 2 pipe buffer Bob's . his header between the boiler and tank is 1 1/4" , design load is under 70 k at design and he is extensively zoned , 5 or 6 zones I believe with a couple very small zones . He is re fitting with the buffer because of excessive cycling . Boiler is Utica SSC 75 , 60 gallon Utica H20 buffer . The VT is being used in Delta T mode and is being moved due to piping configuration
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • john p_2
    Thanks Rich...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,785
    I would caution you about that header size, generously sized is the suggestion. You want the flow velocity in that header pipe as close to zero as possible. What is the required flow rate at design? Lets assume 7 gpm for that 70K boiler load.

I know it sounds overkill but 2" is a definite, 1-1/2 close, 1-1/4 a tad small perhaps, you may experience some unwanted or ghost flows or mixing.

Use the dimensioning on a hydrosep as a guide line. Our 1" sep, for example, rated for 11 gpm has a 3" barrel. That should get that flow velocity in the sep body down around .5 fps or less, under 1 fps for sure.

We have done a lot of engineering and flow testing on separator design to assure you get the results you need and expect, don't tempt fate.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    edited August 2016
    1 1/4" is fine Bob . His average flows through the header are less than 4 gpm with very short excursions above that flow rate . 6.5 would be the absolute max flow with all zones calling at design . Maybe 2 hours a year . Thanks for the input
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    EzzyT