Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Onhand spares for mod-con....

Options
2»

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ^ you have to be a bit careful on some of the electronic components on ebay. For instance if I look up the control board for my UFT- there is one on there for $200 + $13 shipping. A new one from HTP is $219 + shipping. The thing is... the ebay control board is rev. 11 which is (at least) two revisions behind the current HTP supplied control board. So you may actually take a step back in functionality and features by using the ebay control board.
    Adolfo2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Adolfo2 said:

NY_Rob said:

This summer we will be updating our 1960’s CI boiler with a HTP UFT-80W mod con.
    The old boiler used very common parts carried by pretty much every burner tech on his truck and always in stock in at local supply houses- I was never really concerned about ready replacements as even Home Depot stocked my Honeywell aquastat and 007 circulators, and the rest of the boiler is pretty much bullet proof.

Going forward, I’m a little concerned with ready replacement parts availability for the new tech boilers.
    Blackman Plumbing Supply (14 locations on Long Island) is the local distributor for HTP and stocks some parts, but nobody stocks everything and I’d be shocked if any of the local techs carry anything on their trucks for HTP mod cons.

With that in mind, are there any commonly replaced spare parts that I could keep on hand at home for the new boiler that would keep us up and running in most situations next winter?
    Some HTP parts are reasonably priced and I’d have no problem ordering them as spares … Ignition Rod , Low Water Cutoff sensor , Flame Sensor , CH Supply Temp Sensor , etc… other are more expensive…. Main Control Board and Display Panel and would be prohibitively expensive to keep as a spares as a homeowner.

I’m hoping there is some kind of consensus among field service techs who have experience with modern mod-cons as to which parts seem to fail more than others and which would be worth having at home as spares.

Thanks in advance, any guidance would be appreciated!

My concerns exactly! I've picked up many spares on eBay for my Lochinvar Knight at a very reasonable price over the past few years.
    I entered the part numbers in eBay and had it automatically search 24/7 and notify me when something popped up. I've purchased a system board, gas valve, blower, etc at less than 50% of the wholesale cost.
    You are wise to hold parts like that, the parts will be obsolete long before a properly maintained boiler.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Options
    I have a box of modcon specific spares going also. Auto alerts set when certain parts come up on auction sites also. I've noticed some supply houses list parts I've acquired as "no longer available" or the part is on WM's discontinued stock list. I'm hoping to get many years out of my boiler with good maintenance. Like HR mentioned it will be a cryin shame when replacement time comes early due to obsolete parts and not a failing heat exchanger.
    NY_RobAdolfo2