I am in the process of purchasing a home, and I had a air quality test performed. The mold value came back as 20 ng/L, which seems to be in the "moderate" zone. My daughter had an allergy test performed a little while ago and it came back that she has a slight allergy to mold, they did not specify which type. The report says that moderate means "Actively growing molds are present, individuals sensitive to molds will likely be affected.", this was concerning to me.
Some things to take in account of this sample and test:
- Only one reading was taken, and it was from the basement
- Walk out, unfinished basement.
- The house has had a mold issue in the basement before, but had been remediated, and a test was performed after to show that it was successfully removed.
- Home is in Southeastern, PA (suburb of Philadelphia)
Some of concerns and questions:
- I know its probably impossible to determine via the a forum post, but is this level something to be concerned about? Speaking mainly to the basement is not a high traffic area, does this reflect the mold values in the rest of the house.
- If I make the basement as dry as possible ( use of dehumidifier, installation of return ducts in the basement, installation of UV lights in HVAC units, All things I am willing to do) will this assist in considerably lowering the mold readings? The concept was killing the moisture might kill most of the mold.
The house fits all other requirements, but obviously my daughters health is the highest concern of all. I acknowledge that you all don't have nowhere near the complete picture, but any advise or feedback is more than appreciated.
I have included a snippet of the report, if more information is needed please let me know.
Thanks in advance,