Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain Problem Woke The House Tonight!

Options
Docfletcher
Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
edited May 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Woke the house at 1 AM, quite loud. The fan inducer motor seems to have failed, maybe bearing failure? Placed a video on U tube as heatinghelp would not allow it. Just ran it long enough to give you the idea.

https://youtu.be/umAEpDCpN9M

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The video won't open on mine. It says "This video is private"
    Fan failures generally sound like, well, fan failures.
    The cause is often a cross contamination of the combustion air and the exhaust. Check the spacing and observe operation.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Tinman
  • Docfletcher
    Options
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Sounds like the paint mixer at Home Depot

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Docfletcher
    Options
    Yeah the lower bearing is quite shot. I'm ordering the replacement motor kit. Supply House has it and I can get it tomorrow. (Tus)
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Which model is that?
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    382-200-345 WM PN

• Docfletcher
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Set screw is lose, but so It seems the motor shaft is stuck in the hub. I'll try a few drops of WD 40 on the shaft to see if it will free up. Any ideas?
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    The motor shaft was rusty, WD 40 worked,. However boiler won't stay lit. After a minute or so the gas valve starts clicking and within 10 seconds or so boiler shuts down. Give no codes.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    What model boiler?
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    Weil McLain GV 4 series 2... But I'm all set now. Had a Pro stop by. After dinking around with it for an hour he removed the screws which held the fan inducer assembly together exposing the squirrel cage fan. There was a mouse, and upon looking into the backside of the cone was another mouse. Some other small bits of debris as well.

So all in all I'm happy with the outcome. If I were to take on the inducer I would not have separated it. Instead I would have dropped from where it attaches to the boiler, then pulled the cone and ring for a good cleaning, but I might have missed the mouse in the plenum.
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    That's a GV. I think you are going to find that the fan inside that housing is messed up also. If the bearing was bad enough to make things shake that bad the motor would never have started. The vibration is from the fan itself inside the housing that the motor is connected to.... it's come apart or something and is seriously out of balance.

Seen a few fail this way.
  • Docfletcher
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Firecontrol933 you are right on the money. I suspect the mouse was caught up in the fan, thus making the fan unbalanced. The proof of that is the motor runs fine when I bench test it. Of course on the bench it's not carrying a load. Aside from some light scratch's on the upper rim of the fan cage it was undamaged. Seems to work 100% correct now. As loud as it may seem in the video it was 10 times louder when turning at 3400 RPM. :)
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    On 2nd thought the motor must be bad because when the new motor went in the fan/motor was no longer making noise. And that was before the mouse discovery.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    The shaft is turning inside the hub. You need a new wheel and motor.
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    Shaft was firmly attached to hub. Shaft had some oxidation making both setscrew and motor removal from hub very troublesome. Old wheel is mated to new motor and is working fine as far as I can tell.