Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modular steam boilers

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited May 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Modular steam boilers

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jazzerman
    Jazzerman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Excellent article. Very good information and explanation of why certain piping details are important.
  • cgdelzell
    cgdelzell Member Posts: 22
    Options
    does this article apply to ounces twinned steam boilers? since they have a very low pressure.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    That pic looks very familiar; I studied it long and hard when designing my system. @cgdelzell , I'm not a pro, but would say the same rules apply as my system is a twinned vapor vacuum. It is a gravity return with NO condensate tank, but only one equalizer for both boilers per Slantfin's instructions.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    I think JStar had success with the use of a Giford loop, and gravity return, as the means of preventing any excessive water level change in the off boiler. As a result, no electric valves were needed in supply or return.--NBC
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    Thanks for the added knowledge Dan!
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I love using modular steam systems. One of the things I consider when using modular steam is the control strategy. You cannot control it like a hydronic system. I like to use the analogy of an airplane taking off to describe modular steam boiler control. The airplane will use full power to take off and once they reach cruising altitude, the pilot reduces the power. Do the same with steam. Start all the boilers to generate steam pressure. Once you start generating steam pressure, you can stage the boilers back. If you start only one boiler at a time, it will operate and never build steam pressure.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,970
    Options
    Very well explained Dr. Holohan. Thank you. Mad Dog
  • kremer_robert
    kremer_robert Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Dr. Holohan,
    Your write up is a big help to any boiler man and you should write a textbook .
    Can you recommend a steam boiler setup with modular boilers 3-8 (about 100 horse each low pressure) that can pass a 36" door for commercial applications.
    I am thanking you in advance of your steam wisdom.

Robert

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Robert I would look at either Superior boiler They bought the Triad line or Hurst boiler
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Retired and loving it.
    New England SteamWorksErin Holohan Haskell
  • TanklessDR
    TanklessDR Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow!! excellent piping details.. Thank you!! It's worth the read!!
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,262
    Options

I Start all the boilers to generate steam pressure. Once you start generating steam pressure, you can stage the boilers back. If you start only one boiler at a time, it will operate and never build steam pressure.

Same for multistage burners?

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    Hmmm, that install looks familiar...I didn't know we had made it into one of Dan's Articles! Just as an FYI, those boilers are piped with a common header and return per Slantfin When first installed the waterlines are pretty wild, but once things get cleaned up they settle down nicely. Slant fin seems to have figured this piping out pretty well. That Heating plant is feeding a 10 to 12,000 sq ft home with an old vapor system that was upgraded with orifice plates to eliminate the need for the steam traps and allow the boilers to be stage fired off a two stage thermostat. Only a single 200,000 input module runs, except for a couple days a year in extreme weather, and it supports about 1800 sq ft of radiation on a single zone. In fact, now that the insulation has been upgraded, the owner just valves off the second boiler and turns it on manually, instead of the two stage thermostat turning it on. The boilers are being fired with Heatwise Su-3 burners... incredibly loud, but can be turned down to about 1% excess air or less and still burn clean. Too bad Heatwise is gone
    Been going to 8 years and only one issue... gas usage apparently was so low that the gas company came out 2 years in a row to check the metering equipment... and this was before insulating occurred!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Thanks, Dave. I pulled the pic off The Wall. It’s perfect, as always.
    Retired and loving it.