Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turbotorch swirl tip question

Options
2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    SWEI said:

JUGHNE said:

I use the "B" tank acetylene/air torch. The temperature of the tank will affect the gauge setting and operation a lot. The gauges are not high grade anyway.
    I can gain about a 1/4 reading in cold weather by just bringing the tank inside to the job.

This is a big part of why we ditched acetylene for propylene a couple of years back. The reduction in uncertainty and complexity has measurable value IMO.
    I had \ have no choice.
    I need the heat for brazing and propylene isn't going to deliver.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Have you actually tried it?
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SWEI said:

ChrisJ said:

Have you actually tried it?
    Personally no, but going off of what everyone has told me, I'd need oxy mapp or oxy propane for brazing. If I was going to go through all that I'd do an oxy acetylene setup so at least I could also use it for cutting and welding. So I'd still be back to a B tank either way.

Also going off of what I've learned, even if you could braze with it, you'd need a much bigger tip for the same performance. That comes with drawbacks.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    Options
    In case anyone wants to try, the Uniweld FV600 will adapt a CGA200 (MC regulator) to a CGA600 (14oz disposable MAP/Pro or LPG cylinder.) They're fairly popular as a backup option.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

In case anyone wants to try, the Uniweld FV600 will adapt a CGA200 (MC regulator) to a CGA600 (14oz disposable MAP/Pro or LPG cylinder.) They're fairly popular as a backup option.

Do you need to change anything else, or just swap that in with a tank and you're burning?
  • SWEI
    Options
    That's it, at least for occasional use. Oh, and don't use your Grade R hose below -10°F ambient.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SWEI said:

That's it, at least for occasional use. Oh, and don't use your Grade R hose below -10°F ambient.

If I'm brazing a monitor top when it's -10F or colder in the room I've got some serious issues.

What happens to the hose below -10F? Cracks?

• SWEI
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

What happens to the hose below -10F? Cracks?

Propylene stops vaporizing well, liquid can get into the line and degrade the liner. Grade T hose has a different liner that is resistant.

Note that (unlike acetylene) you actually can braze with propylene in ambient temps as low as -5°F.